• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Game on... signed up for a 12 mile obstacle course run

Good luck Water Monkey.
I wish I could still run more than about 10 yds, but my left knee is trashed & I need a cane to walk more than half a mile without aching.

So at the age of 50 I bought a skateboard & started pushing it around. It was cooler than a cane, at least all my grandkids thought so.

Anyhow I lost over 60 lbs and I still can't run, but the knée feels lots better and not swollen like when I was a 240 lb desk jocky.

I've managed to push a 12 lb longboard over 20 miles with one rest stop.

But they don't go through mud!

So how did you hurt your neck?

So how did you hurt your neck?

Probably a culmination of things but I was power lifting and power squatting a lot of weight during the time of the injury. I was squatting 480lbs and benching 270lbs over a period of a few months (I am 5'4" and at the time weighed 155lbs). The pressure on my neck during that time probably caused most of it.

I was also an amateur full contact Kara-te fighter for 15+ years and have taken some blows to the noggin by some big dudes during that time.

Diagnosed with 3 herniated discs in my neck resulting in my right index and thumb to tingle and go numb, my left pinky lost sensation and my left toes lost sensation as well. Luckily no "pain" but having your arm tingle 24 hours a day was very annoying and unsettling.

Doctor recommended rest or surgery. But based on the fact that I hadn't lost any strength in my hands and I wasn't in pain the option to rest was recommended. That was Jan 2014.

I've been strengthening my neck muscles, stretching fairly regularly since then and my symptoms have mostly dissipated however I am still careful of what I do in the gym now.

480 lbs! Bummer! I've hurt myself lifting before, but it was repetitive motion injury and not from extreme weights.

That's a lot of weight for a small dude! I'm 5'-10" & I've never benched over 250 in my best day and that was about 1969.

Right now I'm somewhat out of shape at 180 lbs, as it's been raining to hard to skate or get outside much the past month.
I need to drop 10 lbs and get the heart cranking again.

I sure do NOT miss weighing 240. :eek:

Yeah 270lbs was my highest I've put up on the flat bench. When not power lifting and going in general I can put up about 80 pounds over my weight.

I'm that short and stocky type. Wrestling, Football, Martial Arts.... built up some strength over the years.

stepped on the scale today. Down 10lbs and running 1.5 miles with confidence. Will bump it up to 2 miles next week. Once the miles start going up my weight will start to drop significantly. Another 10lbs to go to be at my prime weight for high cardio activities. At that point I'll need more calories and supplements to maintain that weight as I get into the 6-10 mile run days. strength training will begin in a couple of weeks to supplement some runs for the obstacles.

Congratulations Water Monkey. You have a real plan, and that's important.

I'm not doing nearly so well. I need to drop 10 lbs and start riding my board more, and do less lounging around on the internet. :oops: I was a real back slider this winter. I should be about 172 and I'm 182 right now.

Fortunately it looks like nice weather coming, so no excuses for me!

Raul,

I ran thousands of hard miles on pavement. It started with high school football and baseball and track, and college track, and then years and years and years of US Army fun all around the world but asphalt is just about everywhere at least as I encountered. It was kinda fun while I was young in my twenties and thirties and I even went thru my third police academy with daily PT including runs on asphalt when I was getting pretty old. (In my 50s) They treated every recruit equally without regard for age, so a guy like me had to run as fast as the 22-y/olds. And I actually did it with ease. (good genes maybe) But after that academy was behind me it became evident that I had pushed myself maybe a little bit too hard.

The cumulative pounding my knees took while running on those hard surfaces over years and years were completely unfelt until I got into my fifties. You might want to think about your current regimen before you find that you are getting older. Fun now, pay a real price later.

Raul,

I ran thousands of hard miles on pavement. It started with high school football and baseball and track, and college track, and then years and years and years of US Army fun all around the world but asphalt is just about everywhere at least as I encountered. It was kinda fun while I was young in my twenties and thirties and I even went thru my third police academy with daily PT including runs on asphalt when I was getting pretty old. (In my 50s) They treated every recruit equally without regard for age, so a guy like me had to run as fast as the 22-y/olds. And I actually did it with ease. (good genes maybe) But after that academy was behind me it became evident that I had pushed myself maybe a little bit too hard.

The cumulative pounding my knees took while running on those hard surfaces over years and years were completely unfelt until I got into my fifties. You might want to think about your current regimen before you find that you are getting older. Fun now, pay a real price later.

No worries my good friend!

I take things slow and I'm not a distance runner at all but this is my first long distance run of this magnitude (I'm sure the obstacles will allow some time to catch your wind). I usually prepare several months in advance and adhere to a slow but steady progression. My normal routine is 3-5 miles of running (mainly treadmill) a week (1 - 1.5 miles 3x a week).... before the injury.

I know the feelings of pain... wrestling, football, long distance hiking, full contact Kara-te have left some physical impressions on me.

Most of the running has been treadmill stuff due to the cold climate we are in right now. Pavement and trail running will be substituted the closer the time comes for the run. Rest days to recover are extremely important along with a healthy diet to properly repair the body.

Ive done a few Warrior Dashes and Zombie Runs. I had signed up for a TM a couple years ago but never did it due to some sciatic ssues at the time.

I also did a couple 10 mile road events. I finshed but didn't break any records.

I am coming to agree with Nite. The closer I get to 50 the less I bounce back and the more everything I have done up to this point comes back to haunt me.

Nitesite you paced those 22 yearolds easily because you are a tough old hunk of gristle. Decades of training, where those kids had a few years at most.

I'll be 61 in a few weeks, and I don't regret the exercise it took to get here. I only regret not doing more when I was in my 40's & 50's. I let go and swelled up 50lbs from 2000 to 2008.

I lost it all in 12 mos, in total balls out desperation, because I did not want to have to take high blood pressure pills. It was way up.

It's pretty normal now, I'm feeling great, and I am proud to say that, though I can't run with my jacked up knee, teenagers and 20 somethings rarely catch me on my skateboard.

The cardiologist said to "keep doing whatever I was doing." When I saw him (a year after I got the bad news about blood pressure from him.)

When I told him I was pushing a 14 lb skateboard on 10 and 20 mile rides, he freaked a bit.

That was about 2010, and I'm so glad I didn't wait a day longer to get my chit together.

Last edited:
Update... down to 158lbs which is a total of 15 pounds lost since I started. 153-155lbs is my normal training/fighting weight when I competed in full contact kara-te fights.

Feeling really well. 2.5 miles have been doable and I'm looking to up it to 3 miles next week for one run (which is 2 laps around my apartment complex).

No longer feeling bloated, shirts fit better, I lost about 2-3 inches on my waist... gonna need a new belt this one is now just for show... doesn't hold up anything now.

Big reason for the weight loss has been to my lovely wife. She started her diet to lose the baby weight and that has kept me on a steady pace for the weight loss. Healthier dinners, mini quiche snacks, she makes my lunches.

By the end of April I'm hoping to be around 4 mile runs. May 1 I will start up my weight training again 2x a week and try to adhere to a novice half marathon training schedule.

By May I'll be upping my calorie intake to reflect the tolls training as well as taking in more protein.

Been doing 3.2 miles the past 2 weeks. Going to up it the end of next week to 4.5 miles. Feeling good as long as I keep up the stretching.

May 1st I'll start incorporating some cross training 2x a week at the gym. By then I should be around 155lbs. Plateau hit the past 2 weeks on weight loss. Mainly because I haven't been as stringent in my diet on the weekends. Ice cream called to me… and I opened up the door and let her in. LOL

Update.... past 2 weeks has been tough. Rained all last week so I only was able to get in a 3.2 mile run between storms.

This week I came down with an upper respiratory infection. On meds for 2 days and I was able to do a "feeler" run yesterday for 1.6 miles to see how I was feeling. Breezed through it pretty well so I'm gonna do another 3.2 mile today and a 5 mile run on Saturday.

Started weight training last week but had to hold off this week due to the illness. I'm hoping to hit the gym Sunday to get back into the swing of things.

My goal was to be up in the 6.5 mile run stage by next week but now I'm about 2 weeks behind on schedule. I'll probably push it to 6.5 miles by the end of the month.

End of June I need to be in the 8 mile runs and mid July hit 9.5 miles to be ready for the big run.

I'm toggling between 156-157 lbs these days which is great considering I started at 173ish.

I'll probably hit low 150s to upper 140s by the time of the run.

Wow I couldn't possibly push it that hard these days I have all kinds of joint injuries pulled ligaments.

If I can do A5 Miler and occasionally a 7 Miler on my skateboard I'm pretty happy with myself.

Anyhow congrats and keep up the good work.

Back