• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Issues with magazine tube feeding chamber

DavieDave40

Copper BB
Just bought a 510 bantam mini for my 10 year old.

I removed the wood rod in the magazine because I wanted to put some snap caps in and let her practice at home firing and working the pump to load another round... Now I have two snap caps stuck in the magazine tube because they won't cycle out into the chamber.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions on getting them out?

You should be able to see a small "claw" holding the shell in, you should be able to depress that with your finger and it will come out.

I am assuming this as I only have experience with the 12/20G models.

Yea, I can puch on that, but nothing happens. the base of the shell is still a got 1/8 of away from that hook. I'm thinking I may have to send it in to Mossberg which is gonna ruin her first dove season.

@DavieDave40 Try this.

Disassemble the gun.

(I am assuming that it comes apart like other 500's, all I've seen have been the same)

Place the stock between your knees and grab the magazine tube with both hands and twist it out. It is threaded in place. Do not apply enough pressure to bend or dent it but try to remove it. If it does not come out you may need to apply a little heat to it, bit not much else it will discolor the finish on the receiver. Even pouring some boiling water over the area may be enough as they may have put a little thread locker on it. You do not need thread locker when you reassemble, just hand tight will suffice.

Once removed pull out the follower (the end piece the sits between the spring and the rounds) and spring. Clean everything out good, lube very lightly, not too much else it will attract dust dirt, just enought to coat and prevent rust.) While doing this also look for any bumps, burs, etc that may hinder the movement of the follower in the tube.

Reassemble and see of that makes a difference.

On my 410, if I didn't have the shell perfectly centered while loading the top of the brass would get hung up on what I think is a crimp or indent area about 1/2 inch up inside the magazine tube. Might I suggest to get your snap caps out try removing the o-rings from the wooden dowl plug and use it as a ram rod to carefully apply pressure from the other end.

Back