• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How to support our Second Amendment rights

RobG

Hello everyone this may be in the wrong forum so excuse me if it is.

I wanted to know how does one become more supportive to the Second Amendment rights and community.

I think we have the right to bare arms but I would like to do more then just say it. I want to be one of those educating people about fire arms and letting them know it OK to own one.

I feel I'm being supportive just buying fire arms but is this really enough or what would be the next step.

Thanks so much everyone.

I wish I could like your post more than once.

I avoid the NRA, though admittedly, they are the elephant in the room.

I find that I like gun owners of America "no compromise" stance much better. You can even sign up for their leglislative alert emails even if you are not a member of GOA. Though I admit that occasionally may have some knee jerk reactions to things sometimes, but they are a lot better than the NRA at alerting of potential problems and are more proactive at stopping them early, rather than the NRA which seems to prefer the reactive stance. Plus, I don't like trusting them to speak for all gun owners, as they often claim to do. I'm a man and I have my own voice that I speak for myself, thanks.

One of the biggest things you can do is be vocal with elected officials. Whether by email (which I'm certain they have staff screen them), by phone, which will often get routed to a staff member or voice mail, and in person if needed.

And offer to help them come election time (if they're worth helping). That seems to be the fastest way to let elected officials know you mean business is them knowing you are willing to help them stay in office, or will be supporting someone else if they don't. I've even written elected officials and told them I wouldn't vote for them even for dog catcher (that's a true story and he lost this last election too and I helped rally for the other guy because of it.)

When things are real bad, demonstrating on capital steps, helping educate the ignorant masses (which seem to prefer to be left in their own delusions of how they want things).

Be responsible, be honest, and be heard. But above all else, be there when needed.

Hi John great advice will surely keep these in mind for future reference.

I want to make a difference and support those who believe that we have our rights and we want to keep them as there are.

I'm a newly gun owner and starting to build my collection and have meet some really nice people who opened my eyes to a much respected cause.

Thanks so much for such great advice John....

The NRA IS the elephant in the room...the one that ALL POLITICIANS get a performance grade from...which puts THEM on notice when they vote or "refrain" from voting on all firearm related legislation...the NRA/ILA (Institute for Legislative Action) keeps a trained eye on those sneaky bills that contain hidden anti-gun agenda riders...

Been an NRA Life Member since 1977...

The GOA is also a good organization standing up for our rights as gun owners and believers in the 2nd Amendment...

I am currently paying off a GOA Life Membership ($500) at $50 a month...( $350 down...$150 to go ).

No matter what others believe...without these two pro 2nd Amendment advocates in our corner...who else would stop the Obama/Hillary juggernaut of anti-gun rhetoric and legislation....NOBODY !!

The NRA IS the elephant in the room...the one that ALL POLITICIANS get a performance grade from...which puts THEM on notice when they vote or "refrain" from voting on all firearm related legislation...the NRA/ILA (Institute for Legislative Action) keeps a trained eye on those sneaky bills that contain hidden anti-gun agenda riders...

Been an NRA Life Member since 1977...

The GOA is also a good organization standing up for our rights as gun owners and believers in the 2nd Amendment...

I am currently paying off a GOA Life Membership ($500) at $50 a month...( $350 down...$150 to go ).

No matter what others believe...without these two pro 2nd Amendment advocates in our corner...who else would stop the Obama/Hillary juggernaut of anti-gun rhetoric and legislation....NOBODY !!

Supporting a good cause is always worth it and this is one cause I will support. Making people aware of our rights is a good starting point.
Thanks so much for the great feed back....

Last edited:
+1 on joining the NRA--I've been a Lifer since the mid-90s. Do I agree with all of their positions? Not always. Do I believe they are unfairly vilified? Absolutely! The NRA is more than a gun rights group, they also provide training for law enforcement, safety courses for civilians and hunters and organization for shooting events. They provide info on candidate gun "friendliness", range design, child safety training, etc. etc. I believe that if you own a gun in the US, you MUST become a member if you wish to continue to own guns in the future. There is strength in numbers...

I've been meaning to look into the GOA, just haven't had the time lately...

And +1 on contacting your state and local officials. Sometimes a well written letter can do a lot to sway an elected person to our side versus the anti-gun rants they may also find in their inbox. Sometimes your officials won't give a fark, sometimes they are already on our side, but I like to think contacting them matters...

Thanks for your support, Rob!

Back