• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotguns: non-Mossberg

That looks great!

I use Hoppes, or CLP. Get everything clean, then oil.

I've been eyeing one of these for a while now, and after an aftermarket part issue rendered the 930 useless on one of our informal skeet shooting days, I ended up shooting a friends that day, a LOT. Turns out, I can still bust birds with it once I adjust to how fast the short barrels swing at the ranges our thrower will toss a bird. I also really enjoyed the mechanical interaction with it vs a SA, and the nostalgia of it for some reason, so I found one at a good deal and snagged it. I did opt for the supreme model with the nice rubber butt pad and screw in chokes, along with nicer furniture. Ran about 50rds through it yesterday before the rain set in, and couldn't be happier with it. And for hunting around here, the brush and laurel are THICK, so it being short and light is a plus, and for overlapping seasons, it's nice since you can run two different types of ammo in each barrel, and choose which one to fire.

I'll break out the good camera for some better pics at some point.

Stoeger coach gun supreme

OMsfdoH.jpg

Found this discreet carry case that works perfect once broken down too, that's an iPhone 4 for size comparison.

X02Ocm5.jpg

WNC, Lordy, that is nice! I just bought two Mossberg 500's; 12ga field wood, 20ga field syn. And now I see this. Oh man, that is going to be hard to resist. I am really liking that Supreme 20.

I've been eyeing one of these for a while now, and after an aftermarket part issue rendered the 930 useless on one of our informal skeet shooting days, I ended up shooting a friends that day, a LOT. Turns out, I can still bust birds with it once I adjust to how fast the short barrels swing at the ranges our thrower will toss a bird. I also really enjoyed the mechanical interaction with it vs a SA, and the nostalgia of it for some reason, so I found one at a good deal and snagged it. I did opt for the supreme model with the nice rubber butt pad and screw in chokes, along with nicer furniture. Ran about 50rds through it yesterday before the rain set in, and couldn't be happier with it. And for hunting around here, the brush and laurel are THICK, so it being short and light is a plus, and for overlapping seasons, it's nice since you can run two different types of ammo in each barrel, and choose which one to fire.

I'll break out the good camera for some better pics at some point.

Stoeger coach gun supreme

OMsfdoH.jpg

Found this discreet carry case that works perfect once broken down too, that's an iPhone 4 for size comparison.

X02Ocm5.jpg

That's pretty cool.

I bought an old beater shotgun today, as a project. It's quite similar to that Stoeger. It's a Sears Ranger 5000 12ga side-by-side with short barrels.
The gun is in OK shape, but the stock is in poor shape & will need patching.
I won't have it in my hands for 10 days of course.

Anyhow, it looks like this one, but shorter and not as nice.
RANGER5000.jpg

Nice find.

I like taking old ill-maintained weapons and cleaning it up and making it look new again.

Blue is cheap, and wood is easy. ;)

I do too John, & this one may be a challenge.

I don't know how good it is internally yet.
It could turn out to be a wall-hanger.

I gotta go fill out the papers and wait 10 days to know more.

From what I have discovered this Sears Ranger 5000 was a copy of the Savage-Stevens side by side 12 gauge, and was supplied by them to Sears.

I haven't discovered anything about the reputed quality of the gun, but I suspect it was middle of the road.

It's got plenty of patina. LOL.

I had some time to go back and take a closer look at this gun which I have bought, and it turns out to be mis-marked on the tag: it is really a 16 gauge.

16 gauge wouldn't be my first choice but it's cool anyway.

Everything on the gun seems tight with the exception of the trigger guard screws, and the stock, which is been cracked and patched and then has another piece which needs to be patched now

Also the recoil pad is very loose. Screws are probably just stripped.

Judging by what history I've been able to find on the ranger shotgun it appears that this may be a late 1930s production Savage Stevens. In theory it could be as new as mid-forties but judging by the serial number it's probably not.

I had some time to go back and take a closer look at this gun which I have bought, and it turns out to be mis-marked on the tag: it is really a 16 gauge.

16 gauge wouldn't be my first choice but it's cool anyway.

Everything on the gun seems tight with the exception of the trigger guard screws, and the stock, which is been cracked and patched and then has another piece which needs to be patched now

Also the recoil pad is very loose. Screws are probably just stripped.

16 gauge is my favorite. For numerous reasons, but once you shoot it, you'll probably find that it patterns very well. I have yet to come across one that shoots inherently badly. Judging from the x's carved into the stock in post 557, this one is probably no exeption.

Superglue will work the best in small, hairline cracks. Elmers max wood glue for bigger stuff.

There are a few different ways that you can fix the stripped butt pad holes. You can either use larger screws if possible, or fill the holes with glue and then put the screws in it while it's wet (that's not my preferred method).

Or for another type of repair if the larger screws don't suit you, drill out the stripped holes enough to insert and glue a wooden dowel in them that once set, you can redrill the repair to accept the pad screws.

As for the trigger guard screws, the front one is clearly not the correct screw for the gun. Since they are not anything that needs to be removed regularly, you can try Loctite, or again, drill and tap for a slightly larger screw, or find the right size screw to fit it if they haven't damaged the threads in the receiver itself.

My first 12 gauge auto.

Charles Daly Field Maxi-mag import

24 inch barrel (woot woot). Uses common Remington screw-in chokes. The camo on it is really nice. Shoots a really good pattern. Unsure if it'll cycle low-vel handicap loads or not as I haven't tried them yet, but with the operating system is very manageable with hi-vel loads and the recoil spring takes out a lot of the recoil.

I got a really good deal on it, and the only terms was I had to agree that if I ever got rid of it that he gets first dibs at buying it back.

charles daly auto 12 001.JPG

Back