• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What is your favorite shotgun competition?

What is your favorite shotgun competition?

• Sporting Clays

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Trap

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Double Trap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skeet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 Gun

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
I am personally a fan of trap but also enjoy skeet quite a bit.

About 5 months ago I got into 3 gun and I am completely addicted. Who else on here shoots 3 gun and what kind of weapons/weapons setup do you guys use?

-Jax

I know very little about competition shootin. I have, and do shoot clays, but not for comp. I really like the "look" of 3 gun, but I'm a poor man. Too many rounds and too much traveling...

Anyway, I still still wanna learn and see more!

I do Skeet, and clays, a little 3 gun.

begining 3 gun is surprisingly affordable, we have about 2 games a month locally.
If one is carefull and dilligent you can buy ammo and still compete and not break the bank, more shotgun that anything else (I use wally mart loads, cheaper than reloading)
Pistol and rifle anre reloading affairs if you get serious at all.

We have a box stock division in our local games, so a plain Iron sighted AR (mini 14 also) and a mav 88, plus a pistol(high cap helps but not manditory) and your in
If you dont have one of those, someone will loan you what yu lack but bring your own ammo.

I agree 3 gun doesn't need to break the bank. Heck we've got a guy out there who uses an M1 carbine and does quite well. Most guys run some slightly modified ARs. No serious mods, mainly just a red dot and some kind a vert grip. The handguns are mainly close to stock Glocks with the main mods being after market sights and trigger work. Also there are a few who run 1911s and some, like myself, who run Smith and Wesson M&Ps. My handgun is a 9mm because the ammo is cheap and b/c of the higher mag capacity there are less reloads therefore faster times. Although there is one drawback to using 9mm if you shooting only steel at a certain stage. Because of its lighter weight it can sometimes make it more difficult to knock down steel plates. One guy uses 115 grain 9mm,the other 230 grain .45. Guess which shooter doesn't have to worry about shot placement as much? But I like the challenge of having to make my shot placement really count b/c I view 3 gun as defense training and in the real world shot placement is everything. Yeh I know there are alot of aspects to competitive shooting that does not apply to real world use but shot placement and shooting under stress are definitely good training tools.
As far as shotguns go, just like the rifle and pistol, nothing too fancy. Mainly extended mag tubes and a side saddle and some guys run some high speed chokes. Here are some pics of my 3 gun weapons. Its the same ones I would use for self defense and that is by choice. Hope this helped.

-Jax

Apologies for a slightly blurred pic.
3GUN042-1-1-1.jpg

004.jpg

IMG_20101026_103700-1.jpg

I would love to get into 3 gun, but we dont even have anything locally, not a club or anything. So that means traveling, which is time and money. I lack both. But I can hunt! :)

Rossignol,

Have you done a Google search or asked the nearest gun club. I did this myself and the closest club to me was an hour away but that is where I discovered 3 gun. Not exactly 'local' but I don't mind traveling that distance once a month.

-Jax

jaxman7 said:
Rossignol,

Have you done a Google search or asked the nearest gun club. I did this myself and the closest club to me was an hour away but that is where I discovered 3 gun. Not exactly 'local' but I don't mind traveling that distance once a month.

-Jax

Jax, I havent tried that yet, but I'll take a look, couldnt hurt!

Mud, I'm withya on the quail! I should be doing plenty of that this year!

Back