• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Camo~ patterns and techniques for firearms, bows and gear

@oli700
I also follow what you subject your rifle to and I'm not altogether surprised. :) Also, I dig it. Now I would be surprised if the deflector didn't show wear even on a lesser used rifle.

I am having some trouble with trespasser(s) throwing drug paraphernalia out at our family graveyard and went to speak with the Sheriff this morning. I decided that I was going to find a micro trail cam to video them in the act so I can prosecute them for trespassing and wanton endangerment.

Thing is, the cheapest trail cam with video that I can find is black, which would stick out like a sore thumb, so I'm going to camo it in a tree pattern similar to the same one I did my crossbow in. Ebay has them for about $19 for a 2 meter roll.

I also found a roll of ATACS pattern for $17 after I got to looking around that I am seriously considering doing my lightweight coyote popper in. There were actually 2 different patterns. 1 with mostly all brown, and then the regular that has more green in it. While I normally would go for all brown, I opted to get the traditional pattern with some green in it.

s-l1600.jpg

It'll probably be a week or so before I get to do anything with the camo dips, but I'll add some pics later when I can.

I like that pattern, kind of neutral shadow.

It looks a bit like the AU pattern but still not quite.......might be a zoomed in AU , Arid region

what are your thoughts on mixing camo patterns ?.......while staying in the same general color range .

I have done coyote brown and dark earth on the same piece before.

If that's what you're asking?

mossberg500007.jpg

If you're asking about camo specifically, I don't know how I feel about that.

If the patterns contrast too much, it may cause it to stand out more because of the lines and contours.

I am reminded of whitetail deer. They have a dark top and light bottom, which is backwards of how nature and shadow is even though it is a form of camo.

But it's still pretty easy to spot if you're looking for it.

On the other hand, a copperhead snake is a much better camo and it is essentially a few different colors. I couldn't tell you the number of them I've almost stepped on in my days.

acontortrix_insitu.jpg

Got some dip patterns and paint incoming.

Both of the paints that I ordered have been from KG GunKote. Basecoat will be a light tan, and the clear coat is air cure 1200 series Flat Clear because the KG is far superior than the rattle can types that usually come with the kits that you can find online. Mine isn't from one of those online kits though. I'm cherry-picking components to get the best service life out of them as I can.

But will probably be late next week before it arrives UPS ground.

The new trail cam arrived early this morning. Green swirl colored in all of it's glory. Looked like a dark greenish black. Reminiscent of the color of uniform pants many game wardens wear.

Since they delivered it so early, that gave me some time to take the housing apart and dip it on and off through the day letting everything dry.

I didn't use KG Gunkote on it. Just a misting of Satin Khaki tan and a hint of Nutmeg spray paint to darken the tan down a little bit.

I think instead of turning out like tree bark though, it looks more like Natural Gear camo, which I don't think is too bad because it really is my favorite camo pattern. Maybe because I didn't use a white or light grey basecoat like they recommended. I'll have to remember that.

trail cam dip 003.JPG

Wow, that turned out really well!

What is the process you use? You've said dipping, this isn't a hydrodip is it?

The KG Gunkote should be here Monday or Tuesday to start working on the AR. I'm going to find a scrap piece of something (PVC pipe or something) to find out how it does with different base colors on it before deciding on which base coat to use.

They recommended a light tan for the ATAC pattern, but added that doing darker could get different results, so I'm going to take a short piece of pipe and paint several colors on it at the same time and dip it and see how it looks.

I tried using the ATACS pattern this evening and there's no way.

The film is thicker and didn't want to melt to allow the piece to get good coverage, and also has small textures that wanted to trap air bubbles underneath, which I think may have left imperfections in the pattern. I am very thankful that I tried it on a piece of pvc pipe instead of my AR.

I am certain that I won't be ordering film from that guy again.

I will however be using the pattern that I used on the trail camera above. It turned out really well as it is.

I still have to do the base coat, but I have the AR taken down so I can paint it in the next couple of days after UPS delivers the Gun Kote.

camo dip and yard swing 022.JPG

One step closer.

Curing now, but is a little rainy and the humidity is a little high so will take longer to cure than it usually would. Dipping may not be this evening as I had hoped. But the cleaning, stripping and painting is the hardest part of it anyway.

camo dip 5 001.JPG

Back