• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

portable target stands

The one target that broke the ear off, you can still shoot it. Only now instead of just swinging back and forth, it will rotate around and swing back and forth.

yeah, I'd probably get some shrapnel from the edge lol

I've wanted a dueling tree for a long time , cant wait to shoot that one

Easiest way to make a cheap frame is to cut four pieces of 1 and 1/2 inch PVC pipe in 12 and 1/2 inch lengths. Then make a V base with two uprights using three 90 degree connectors. Use 1x2 boards for the uprights inside the PVC. I put 1 screw to hold the parts together making it easy to replace parts. Drill two 7/16" holes in the center of the base legs. Use two 12 inch long 3/8" spikes to anchor to the ground. The spacing will be about right for a 24" cardboard to be stapled to the up rights. Very light and can be broken down if necessary for storage/transport.

all my gongs are AR500, the homemade tree is like T1 or something a step up from mild steel

my, aren't we a cleaver one......that's shrapnel son and a bullet here and there. This stand has more lead in it than most people have shot in their lifetime , but thanks for the tip !

What if you made a stand out of aluminium tube? It would be light weight.
I think you could make a tripod set up cheap.
Connect all 3 with a length of all thread at the top.
Pivot the middle to the backside and hang a target. The 2 tubes on the outside would have elongated holes to be able to swing outwards....
@oli700

I use T posts or electric fence posts set wide enough for a feed bag and tape a target to it. Easy to replace but won't hold up like a gong which means walking out to replace targets. Also doesn't work well in the rain. May not suit your needs Oli but may work for some others.

Kind of like an easel...
thanks for the tips guys

I like the idea of aluminum, what I should do is take a collection from my buds.......or a go fund my target stands page lol

Going to build a range on the property and I think the Tpost will have a place there for a more perminate set up

built several easel style stands, they work good but the breeze blows them over preatty easy

To stop the shrapnel problem, why not put longer chains on then flip the gong over the top of the frame so it hangs in front of the frame...??

The shrapnel should miss the wood then...:)

To stop the shrapnel problem, why not put longer chains on then flip the gong over the top of the frame so it hangs in front of the frame...??

The shrapnel should miss the wood then...:)
It could work, I would have to try it to see..... but sounds feasible

I bought two of these (the "Tactical" model): http://www.flip-n-target.com/

The problem is that it doesn't take very much wind to either make the top fold over or the whole stand to tip over.

Here''s a video of building essentially the same stand yourself:

I need to make one that I can take on the motorcycle without being too awkward. Something that folds up or telescopes.
I'll have to dig through this thread for ideas.

Thanks Chris.
That could work, but based on my experience with Caldwell products I wouldn't be happy with it .

I have their shooting bag, their bunny bag, their X-Wing bag, the Caldwell adjustable bipod and the Caldwell convertible shooting rest.

The bags are not in the least bit heat resistant. The bipod appears to be a flimsy copy of a Harris. I gave the convertible shooting rest to my grandkids because it's basically a piece of plastic from Playskool.

I put the bipod on my .22 Savage target rifle. I couldn't really tighten it enough to stay in place without bending the mechanism. Well actually the mechanism just bent and it never did stay in place.

If you look at a Harris the small stamped parts appear to be about twice as heavy as on the Caldwell. I consider the Harris to be a crappy design so the caldwell was a poor copy of a crappy design.

So far I really can't find enough bad things to say about their products.

The bags have leaked since day one as some of the stitching was rather coarse. The vinyl appears to be the cheapest grade of Chinese car upholstery. A hot Barrel doesn't actually have to touch the stuff to melt it, but it doesn't actually melt. It just kind of disintegrates under heat and flakes off of the underlying fabric layer. The ballistic nylon looking fabric is actually just polyester plastic. You wouldn't want to support the shooting bag from one of its plastic clips. They're not heavy enough to support the weight, and it's not even filled with actual sand. The Caldwell bags are filled with some kind of reprocessed plastic "wood" chips. The color of the chips is the same as some of the molded plastic used on their Plastic Products.

( I don't know why my cell phone wants to capitalize random words like that. It's really annoying.)

The bunny bag wasn't really heavy or broad enough to be stable, and I ended up gluing it to larger suede beanbag as a base.

Last edited:
Back