• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best Slug Straight out-of-box?

Hey Mossberg Owners

Im looking to buy some 12 gauge 2 3/4 slugs and could really use a point in the right direction.

Im looking for something that is going to be fairly accurate "out-of-the box"
Something that has enough power to hit targets in excess of 50 yards

I don't think I can find LE slugs locally, Brands like Win. Ranger…

I will be needing to pattern these so something i can find locally.

looking to purchase 25 or so
:cool: :D

Centurion are what I use and oli700 takes 200 yard shots with them.

I also like the Centurion, but you may have to order them online. I got mine from SGammo. Look at their site you may find other stuff you want to keep the shipping costs down.

I just got a box of Winchester 15-Round Value-Pack Slugs for $14.99 at cabela's (where else would i be?)

bNmjyl.jpg

2 3/4" 1oz...

going to test out my saiga this weekend.

oh yea the super-x slug by winchester.. probably the most common found. but i hear they are not always as accurate as they should… so imo not the best slug for me "straight-out-of box" I think the best bet 4 me is Federal Premium's Truball slug. its suppose to work wonders with smoothbore/cylinder bore barrels. I don't think ill be able to find those locally so my next options are Remingtons Slugger and managed recoil slug. Federal powershok slugs. I would like to try the managed recoil slugs but idk if anybody carries that locally.

im going on a road trip soon that involves driving near the Mexican border so Im looking for a no nonsense tried and true SHTF slug lol

ripjack13 said:
I just got a box of Winchester 15-Round Value-Pack Slugs for $14.99 at cabela's (where else would i be?)

bNmjyl.jpg

2 3/4" 1oz...

going to test out my saiga this weekend.

How do they figure 15 slugs for 15 bucks is a value....thats going rate.

Texas made, I don’t think the Centurions are any better than anything else, they just offer a true value ($.41 ea shipped) for a good performing slug.

The Winchester WinLite low recoil slugs are the same as the Winchester Ranger low recoil slugs.

There is a Federal load with the TruBall that is not LE. It is;
PB127LRS

That is linked directly to the Fedreal Premium page. It is identical to the Federal Tactical round including muzzle velocity.

I personally like both of these, they both have grouped similarly @ 50 yards from my 590A1. I have used the Winchester full power and the Federal full power slugs. I'm not so crazy about either!

oli700 said:
Rossignol said:
I have used the Winchester full power and the Federal full power slugs. I'm not so crazy about either!

Do tell

Aww, does SheRa's shoulder hurt? :p I don't mind the full power, but since I can only shoot slugs at my local gun range the low recoil are a lot better for that purpose after 45min to an hour of shooting.

Hey...

STOP.jpg

...picking on Rossignol !! :lol:

==================================================

I don't really have a favorite slug, as I don't have a rifled barrel on any of my shotties. I have shot the Hornady TAP SST Slugs from a friends gun at 100 yards and they performed well beyond my expectations...

http://www.hornady.com/store/Slugs/

===================================================

I think he means rifled slugs for smooth bore barrels vs. using a rifled barrel to shoot sabots. I have yet to test out my rifled barrel. Maybe I'll pick up some sabots if I ever get to go shoot. Every time I make plans to go out something comes up. :(

OH, OK...I did pick these up and found them real good at distance...

BRENNEKEBronzeslug.jpg

Breneke Bronze Slugs...

SPECS:

Gauge : 12
Type : Slug
Length : 2 3/4"
Ounces : 1 oz
Shot Size : Slug
Muzzle Velocity : 1378 fps

Newly developed unique patented B.E.T wad. Flat trajectory. Good accuracy. Allows quick, accurate follow up shots if needed. Good knock down power. Controlled penetration/low risk of dangerous exiting. Designed for urban use. Proven for law enforcement. Most comfotable for recoil sensitive shooters.

Dang, you guys are all about that SheRa stuff! She was hot back in the school days!!! ;)

So, I dont really care for the full power because, probably me, but I didnt group them well. Switching to the low recoil, I was able to tighten up my groups @ 50 yards to within like 4" the first time I ever fired them. Also, my 590A1 is heavier and I didnt mind the slugs then, but I put my red dot on my 500 which is lighter and all of a sudden there was quite a difference in the feel. So for me, the best combination is my 500, red dot, and low recoil slugs, either Winchester Ranger/WinLite or Federal Tac TruBall/VitalShok TruBall.

Nice thread, Tex. I was going to ask the same question. I've stuck to the Remmy Sluggers, but wanted to branch out.

Those Brenneke tactical defense ones sound nice I will look into those but I would most likely have to order them online huh??

And yea my tactical 500 is really light which is both good and bad. More felt recoil vs more maneuverability

Texas_Made said:
Those Brenneke tactical defense ones sound nice I will look into those but I would most likely have to order them online huh?? And yea my tactical 500 is really light which is both good and bad. More felt recoil vs more maneuverability

=========================================================

I picked them up at a gun show...but I'm sure you can also get them online...just google the name.

Texas_Made said:
And yea my tactical 500 is really light which is both good and bad. More felt recoil vs more maneuverability

I know this is a slug thread annd dont wanna derail it... but;

I have both a 500 Persuader 20" and a 590A1 20". With the Hogue short LOP, for me my heavier 590A1 is much more manuverable!

On the gun show idea, if you can make it out to one, you can usually pick up all kinds of stuff reasonably inexpensively to try out, often including LE ammo too!

Texas_Made said:
Those Brenneke tactical defense ones sound nice I will look into those but I would most likely have to order them online huh??

The cheapest i could find is here...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/60353-5.html

Reviewer BuddyP. from CheaperThanDirt.com said:
Wow! I love these slugs! I bought a box about 7 months ago and have keep a few loaded in my home defense shotty by my door. Last weekend i decided to try em out when i went out shooting. They put about a 5 or 6 in hole thru a peice of sheetmetal from about 15yrds.and I put a 2in deep dent in an old safe i was trying to get into! lol but the recoil is amasing! Very controlable! I shot em out of a Moss 500 With a pistol grip & was able to hold it correctly and look down the sights without getting kicked in the mouth like most slugs will do! Great ammo! buying 5 boxs now!
I'm sold!

Back