• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

tool to remove lug from stock???

Know where i can find a tool to remove the lug that goes through the stock. Not all walnut stock patriot have this, not sure why . Not sure if the tool come in the box but I bought a demo model and it's not included, I assume you need to remove this lug to remove the stock.

I don't own this model, but is this one of the action bolts or by lug do you mean the recoil lug?

Are you able to get pics?

wm_7799361.jpg
Just above the front of the magazine

I couldn't say what tool to use, now I'm stumped. But I'll do some looking.

Last edited:
I can't find anywhere that its necessary to remove to break the rifle down. Looks like the action and barrel will come out with it in there and it looks like that's what the front action bolt threads to but I could be wrong.

Page 9 of the manual. "Remove the stock by removing the front and rear action screws. Lift the action out of the stock." This is a typical design and the barrel, receiver, trigger and all will just lift out. No need to remove the lugs on the sides.

I just remove the bolt and magazine. I don't know if it makes any difference, I just like to get them out of the way. Then I remove the screws on either side of the mag well. Mine then just slips out without much fuss at all.

This is a wood stock? I don't have any experience with bedding except for having looked in to aftermarket stocks.

I don't plan to make any changes to mine. Mine came with the Vortex scope pre-mounted. It was on paper, first shot. Just a few rounds more to get it zeroed. Paper and steel is all I shoot at and rarely shoot beyond 100 yards and never beyond 200.

Yes it's a wood stock. I'll watch the video a few times

Yes, Larry's videos are pretty good and he'll certainly help you out with product selection... :)

I second what the others have said--the lug does not need to come out. Now if it was overtightened, it may have caused the tight fit and difficult disassembly but it is probably still easier to leave it in place. Larry might even have the tool but you could find a couple tight fitting solid pins or drill bit shanks (not the flutes) and pry it loose that way...

The bolt running through the stock is for recoil reinforcement. It is not ever necessary to remove them. If you look at high end big bores they are usually flush with the stock and have no facility to remove them. Glass bedding is not hard but I would suggest watching a number of videos on the subject. The key to not screwing it up is attention to detail. There are a lot of tricks you can pick up. For instance, lamp shade rod makes great custom pillars. For a release agent the best I have found is Kiwi neutral shoe polish. The best bedding compound I have used is Devcon 10110 steel putty. All of them work but Devcon 10110 shrinks less than others like Acraglass. Taping properly is critical and buy the pointed q-tips, they get the bead of compound out of the seam between the action and the stock really well with less mess. Plumbers putty is truly your friend. The only other thing I would say is, glass bedding is not hard but it is not what I would consider a beginner project.

Back