• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bolt handle falling out!

Rodro

Copper BB
Bolt handle flew out of jmpro during 3gun stage. Luckily found it after match was over. I have seen a post about installing smaller spring inside the retaining detent spring to stiffen and help prevent this from happening again. Can or does anyone have the Brownells or midway part number for this smaller spring? This is first and hopefully only Issue I have had so far! Gun runs great! Added OR3gun upgrades,opened and polished loading port, acquired extra and welded lifter and ramped forearm.

I know someone will chime in with the info you need. In the meantime, just wanted to drop in and say welcome to the forum...

Well, since no one seems to have responded: I don't have a replacement part number, but another solution is to chance the notch in the bolt handle. A chainsaw sharpening, or small round jewelers' needle file about 1/8" diameter, is what you want. The factory cut is "V" shaped, making for easy removal. Using a round file will make the detent pin engage flat-cuts, increasing the force required to pull it. Don't press hard, and only make 2-3 passes before slipping it back in to check your fit. If you recut to full depth, you can lock the handle in place.o_O

Thanks for the reply.Since posting this question I have installed the modified AR spring inside the bolt handle detent spring with no further issues. I also requested and received 2 new bolt handles and detent springs from Mossberg. Thanks for the advice on fix. If what I've done happens to fail unexpectedly, I will try this!

I had a similar issue with my 930. I think I may have actually had the handle in backwards, DOH! or the grove was not cut correctly. I am unable to find the missing handle and have not had the issue since so I have no determination as to the exact cause in my case.

Back