• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Westernfield M550ABD aka Mossberg 500

Steve

.22LR
Have a Westernfield M550ABD, 12gauge I repair for a friend. Replace the slide and cleaned it up. Noticed it had an external threaded barrel. He told me it had a screw on choke (modified) that he lost in a move. They are similar to the ones I saw on Numrich web site for the Model 195. I've spent the better part of 2 days on the web, phone, text, fax and email all over the US. I'm all out of hope and ideas. Anyone out there know of any obscure place I could fine one to buy. l
Like I said 12 gauge modified or he would probably take a full or Imp. cycle by now. Thanks, Steve :(

I'd contact these folks...

Havlin Sales & Service

(636) 937-6401

The Havlins co-founded the National Mossberg Collectors Association and know more about these old Mossberg firearms than anyone else out there. If they don't have the parts you need, they should be able to point you in the right direction...

I believe it is a c-lect choke you are looking for.

Like LES said give Havlin a call.

019.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

OK as I said in my post I'd tried everyone. Havlin is the very first place I tried. All he has left is for .410 and .20ga. He also said he's not going to have any more 12ga. made. manufacturing set up too costly. he also pointed me to Numrich and Lee's in Texas. neither of them have any. a An also, know 100% that it is not a c-lect choke. Thanks anyway guys. :(

I'd also talk to Carlson's barrels,,,,,maybe he has one lying around. 928-718-4282

Still waiting on an answer from Bob's. Nothing on his web page. Emailed him last Tuesday, in my experience with him it takes 2 to 3 weeks for a reply. Have already looked at Carlson's inventory online. I'll have to call on Monday. Thanks

Did you ask if the choke was interchangeable with any other models? Maybe you can find a different gun that takes the same chokes or just search for chokes for those other models since parts vendors might not know it's interchangeable.

Worst comes to worst, a gunsmith could trim the threads off and thread the barrel for internal chokes. Or maybe a Mossberg 500 barrel would fit.

If you check the parts diagrams for your model and others you can find which fit. I looked for a couple years to find a C-lect choke for my 200K. Found one at a gun show but it was still attached to the barrel. Seller said I had to take the whole barrel and the price was about 1/10th of what I expected to pay for the C-lect choke. When I got it home and compared the barrels mine was not near as good so now have a project to swap barrels.

Thanks all for the advice and info. Searched and cross referenced. Found that a screw - on choke tube from a bolt action model 195 would work. I found the last one and bought it at Corson barrel co. Glad that's over

Thanks all for the advice and info. Searched and cross referenced. Found that a screw - on choke tube from a bolt action model 195 would work. I found the last one and bought it at Corson barrel co. Glad that's over

Glad everything worked out and this is good to know if any of us ever come across one. Should be able to get a good deal if the choke is missing. ;)

For future reference, I have seen just C-lect chokes for sale on Ebay. It may be hit or miss but always worth looking.
I am a big fan of them for pheasant hunting and sporting clays.
Glad that you found a fix.

Back