• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Forends

Re: Aimpro Tri-Rail

I just talked to Mike. He said the rails won't be on the site for another week or so, but you can call and order them. The number to call for ordering is 303-838-0200. I would guess that when they do get on the website it would be on this page somewhere:
http://www.aimprotactical.com/16873/20285.html
James, I checked the weight and the scaled I had them weighed on showed the OEM forearm to be 6 ounces and the Tri-Rail to be right about 17 ounces.

The weight difference really isnt too bad. Would be better maybe if Hogue would do a short LOP for the 930, and bring the weight in a little closer.

The weight difference is just under 3/4 pound. With the positioning of the forearm, it is still pretty well balanced and does fairly well in-hand.

Comparison pics between the OEM and Aimpro units.

railtopcompro.jpg

Top view showing relative widths of the two units.

railsideprofile.jpg

Side view.

The actual differences are remarkably small. Very little width and height are added to the forearm dimensions. I will post the actual measurements in the the full review.

Ripcode said:
I love the progression shots of your 930 above!

You can tell m24's 930 is no safe queen! :D

It pretty much is a safe queen. He's actually never fired a shot through it. Any time he gets a new gun he drags it home from the shop behind his car then he puts it in the safe.

Is that the AFG2? If so, is there much difference other than the narrower profile?

It looks like the trirail is holding up well and I'm sure its been put through its paces!

The AFG 2 is a little lighter, shorter, and narrower. At the same time it is a little "taller" too.
It will allow you more options to mount other things on the rail than the AFG does. I like it, and I think it will work out well.
The rail is doing well. I haven't been able to shoot the 930 as much as I would like to, but I haven't had a lot of time to shoot much of anything lately. I've had to keep range time fairly limited with usually only one shotgun or carbine/rifle and a little for one of the pistols as well, and usually it is whatever I happen to have on me when I can actually stop and shoot a little.

I understand totally.

Do you think then the AFG2 is the better choice if used in conjunction with the Gear Sector thumb or hand stop? Or is the Gear Sect piece even needed with the AFG2? Would it add any benifit to use the 2 together?

I ask because of the arthritis in my hands and shoulder, and I'm trying to find a system that is a little more ergonomically friendly, something easier to grip. I think the shorter LOP stock will help too so I can square up better and not feel like I'm reaching so far.

I suppose you could use the GS stop and the AFG2 together, but the AFGs take your hand pretty far off the rail. It may be awkward to try to position your hand around the stop while still holding the AFG at the same time. The AFGs orient your hand at an angle to the bore/rail, while the GS stops seem to orient your hand more inline with the bore/rail. I don't know if I'm explaining this adequately, but that's the best way I can think to explain it.
The GS is really meant to be used on its own, or in a pair. The best way I've seen with a pair is with one on the the side and one underneath, although I've seen people use both on the same rail surface. With them on different rails it allows you to wedge the side mounted stop into the web of your hand while being able to provide a rear surface with the bottom mounted stop.
ETA: I'd post a pic, but I loaned one of my stops out so I only have one right now. I will probably be ordering a new one shortly though.

Cool, and your insight is always appreciated! I got what youre sayin, it sounds like the AFG1 would be better for me with a wider/stouter profile.

Thanks again!

The width difference is really at the rail, not the grip. The base of the grip that interfaces with the rail surface has a wider flange/skirt area, that is where the real difference in the width is. It is wide enough to prevent mounting an offset light mount on a rail to the side of the AFG, but it is not actually wider in the grip area.

Back