• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Memorial Day

I thought we were supposed to thank a Veteran for their service and then get on with the important stuff for a three-day weekend.

For most it's just a drinking day off of work.

Enjoy the weekend and do not lose sight of what the holiday really means.

To get a jump on Memorial Day I rode up to the Pioneer's Cemetery today and put some flags on my dad's grave.

I took a lot of photographs while I was out there. As a matter of fact I walked the entire cemetery plot By plot. The old Pioneer Cemetery is located on a Dusty Hill just outside the non-existent ghost town of Academy California. It's a very small Cemetery but it seems to have a very good proportion of veterans buried there

I will post some pictures tomorrow but I need to edit them all before they will fit here.

To all veterans past and present, Thank you for your service, and thank you for keeping America free.

I never served, but my sister did a hitch in the Air Force, & my brother-in-law Dan is a vet of 30 years USAF, and served in Vietnam. He's 76 years old.

Dan had a stroke last night and is in the hospital. This is his third major stroke and he was in bad shape already. He'll be stuck wearing a diaper, in a wheel chair, drooling on himself, until he dies.

God have mercy...Dan doesnt deserve to wind up a vegetable

It's already more than my sister can bear, and we'll probably have to put him in a home with 24/7 care.

Don't let me go like that Lord. Don't make the others drag my sorry ass around.

God have mercy...Dan doesnt deserve to wind up a vegetable
Don't let me go like that Lord. Don't make the others drag my sorry ass around.
Some how a "Like" of your last post doesn't seem appropriate. Just let it be said that I agree w/ you here, and I have made it clear to my family [in writing]. 'Nuff said.

Well, I'm at the hospital, awaiting the changing ceremonies, and there's good news of a sort. Dan has recovered his speach. He has limited mobility, meaning they have him in bed. He's still about half paralyzed and has difficulty swallowing.

Basically he cannot eat solid food. No telling if he will improve from here. But his spirits are good.

As for today, let every beer we drink, every burger we eat, and every bite of baked beans and potato salad be in honor of our fallen heroes. Let the feast and fun serve as a testament to their sacrifice and remember that the road leading us here was paved with their courage and honor in serving this great Nation and ultimately with their lives.

To all our fallen warriors, Thank You.

Gone, but never forgotten.

Thank you LES. I raise my ceremonial Iced Tea in salute.

Dan is improving. After we go to the cemetary, we will go see him and my sister this afternoon. He still can't eat though, so no picnic (of even the pre-fab hospital variety) for him.

My mom is OK, though, and will get traditional foodstuffs today, of a sort reserved for aged diabetics.

We'll go see Mom too, then home for a quiet BBQ.

27259801442_5e437111c4_z.jpg

Rosalina paid tribute to her grandpa on Sunday.

27324117596_76328157d7_z.jpg

It was 95°F and bone dry in the Pioneer's Cemetery today. All the flags were out.

There were many vets whose graves I had not seen before. I took 30 more photos and video too. I'll put them in the ghost town thread later.

Dad got 7 volleys from a three-man squad, over his grave, when they buried him here in 2002, and they played Taps from a boombox.
20160530_194522_resized.jpg
I wish I'd known they weren't going to send a bugler. I could have had the top cornet man in Fresno out there.

Last edited:
Back