• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cemetery in a ghost town . . .

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Just outside of Clovis California, the small town of Academy was once the home of a famous local school, commonly called "The Academy". All that remains now is the old Pioneer's Cemetery, a couple of farm houses, and a monument beside the highway which replaced the wooden 1850's town. The cemetery is very close to the part of Clovis where my father lived, and this is where he wanted to be buried.

I went out there yesterday to put in a few flags for Memorial Day, and pay my respects to the only guy I ever knew who served in three wars.

Most of the Year this is a dry land of scrub Oak and dry grass. This old oak by the entrance has managed to survive since the pioneer days.

20160527_221409.jpg

The Pioneer Cemetery is in the foothills of a fairly Barren land. Except for 200 years of irrigation, the San Joaquin Valley would be basically a desert.

Instead we built hydroelectric dams to control the run-off, irrigated the place, and now it's America's fruit basket--producing more grapes, tree fruit, tree nuts, and Citrus than any place in the world.

But there's not much irrigation at the cemetery except for one hose bib where you can manage to get a rusty drink of water.
20160527_221708.jpg
My dad loved to take us to the Arizona Ghost Towns in his old scout, but it wasn't until recently that I realized how odd (or appropriate) it was that he wanted to be buried in a ghost town.

There was a spanking breeze when when I got up to the cemetery. It was quite welcome as the temperature was already nearly 90°F.

I scrub the dirt off dad's Tombstone with a bottle of water and planted his flags. My sister will put up a third one on Memorial Day, one for each War in which he served.
20160528_124620.jpg
it's a small place but there are many other Vets burried there. I started to choke up a little bit as I thought about who they all were and how they got here. Were there other three war heroes burried here? I started walking to find out.

First there were the Pioneer Graves. Many with fancy marble, cracked and damaged from 100 Years of weather and random miscreants.

20160528_004643.jpg

20160527_222040.jpg
20160528_004355.jpg
Many of the names are familiar because they are the names of local streets and roads. They were the descendants, in a large part, of the local pioneers.
20160528_004123.jpg
Benjamin Beard's trust in God carried him through 94 years on this earth.

I walked the entire Cemetery yesterday, plot By plot. I took photos of the interesting headstones from the past and also of all the GI headstones that lie in the Academy cemetery. I'm going to post them all up later.

There will be over 40 photos.

I know that's a lot. But These are the tombs of American Heroes, and as tombs go they're not much. A hunk of cast Bronze on a chunk of cast concrete, on plot of dead Desert earth, in the dead foothills, at the edge of America's greatest farm country.

A few of them, like my dad, served in more than one war.

This won't be much of a tribute All Things Considered but it's something, and perhaps it's even something of an honor.

Most of the folks in that Hallowed Ground couldn't imagine what we're doing with these photographs of their last resting places.

Please read the names.

These fellows haven't had roll call in a long time.

You are a good man, Mr. Quinn.

Wow, your Dad served in three wars. How did he get in the USN at such a young age? It bet it's a fascinating story, and I bet he had many many more.

I appreciate reading the stories, and seeing the photos.

Thank you.

This is some really cool stuff, I think it's awesome what you're doing.

Thanks guys. Dad's 3 brothers all joined the Army, but he was too young. He lied about his age and the Navy took him.

It's taking a while to edit all the photos I took. I'll get them up by midnight.

I too am fascinated by what each of these lives were like, who they were, how they lived. I look at the dates thy lived and in the cases of those who served, how old they were when they served.

Good stuff.

Thank You fellows. My sister and brother-in-law are both involved in the local VFW, & normally will be putting Flags out on all the graves today.

But my brother-in-law has had a bad stroke and is in the hospital, so that Duty will fall to other veterans from now on.

I'll take my wife back out tomorrow, and get a couple pictures with all the flags up. The sight of it may cheer them up.

Man...awe inspiring. Great topic sir. I hope your bil recovers.
Thank you....

Thank you Rip. He seems to be recovering a bit better than I expected.

They're sending him for physical therapy, so the doctors are not ready to give up on him.

:)

BTW my sister was commandant of the local VFW for a while and she knew Lt Colonel Emler. I'm having streaming problems and have not managed to finish watching the interview I posted a link to.

Back