• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sears Ranger 5000 rebuild

The black Remingtons were the high brass shells and one had a dud primer. I struck it 6 times and no dice.
20160529_191721.jpg
Cut it open, burned thd powder, saved the shot and cup. And pressed out the bad primer.

It looked OK to me.

@CaddmannQ , here it be sir. I really hope you have more pix.....I have an old Stevens sxs 12g that needs serious help....the stock might need replacing. Nice job on yours by the way.

^ LOL

I kilt this many turkeys and squirrels right here with this old gun sunny.

Well I went with it but I made them bigger and deeper and they weren't X's. I got some huge notches deep into the unblemished Walnut to give the epoxy some purchase on the wood. Basically I tripled the surface area of the old glue joint & created Cross Planes so that shear stress would not be unrestrained in any direction.
20160503_052457.jpg

you can see the first round of bedding where the action gets into the stock.
This was the thickest bedding & contained glass fiber

20160503_052523.jpg

Then I taped everything off and mixed up the fiberglass + epoxy and went to town.
20160507_000520.jpg

I packed on a lot of that excess and then shaved it down by hand. I was hoping to make it dense enough to avoid voids. I succeeded Almost 100%. Patches came out very dense and solid.

Here is a better view of the initial bedding.20160503_052504.jpg

The stock was eroded and cracked right around that bolt hole.

I sealed up the cracks with Crazy Glue as well as possible by opening up the crotch of the stock a little bit with a clamp, filling the crack and then clamping it back tight.

Last edited:
Here the gun is assenbled & you can see how deeply I notched the stock.

VZM.IMG_20160503_075435.jpg

Here I have one side of the stock shaped down pretty well. The other side is still rough.
20160508_025159.jpg

Well the pictures are coming out kind of out of order, but you still have a good idea of what I did here.

I have to say I am really impressed with how tight this old gun feels.

When I checked it I found one part of the barrel, close to the muzzle, that was only .062" thick. The book says it's OK down to about 0.040" so I guess that's not too thin.

Clearly this gun was sawed off, as there are absolutely no chokes left, and the pattern at 30 yards is huge. Over 12 inches dia.

Also the barrels do not touch at the muzzles. There's nearly a quarter inch between them which is filled up with solder or epoxy and painted. I can't tell which and I haven't dug into it yet.

Probably no need. I shot a dozen rounds through it and I don't see any evidence of cracking or other problems.

The rear bead is broken off and I don't know if the stub was threaded or pressed in. I was going to try and drill it tonight & stick in a tiny easy out.

Do these stocks look like anything anyone can use? Don't have a clue what they fit. Open to trades...

stock1f.jpg

stock2f.jpg

stock3f.jpg

stock1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobster that's some lovely wood.

That buttstock looks like it might be fit to a 464.

Oh...nice butt....butt stock that is. It has some great looking figure in it...

Back