• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Quantity vs. quality for SHTF

All the dogs are going to be fed,
But you won't want to eat who they're eating.

I don't purchase anything while worrying about the neighbors. My small amount would be spread pretty thin if I had to share. Our small pantry would not last long either. Tried to stock up on food but some of it ended up going passed the use-by-date before we could work our way through it (only tow of us most of the time).

I'm afraid my stock of non-perishable food is pretty slim, but we buy lots of things in bulk when we can & when it makes sense.

Going to school in Utah, I knew some rich Mormon kids & their families had basements stocked with canned food from Deseret Industries. Thousands of dollars worth of the stuff.

I grew up a poor service brat, and we never had anything like that. We ate whatever they were selling at the Air Force commissary. So I didn't know what to think. These people were Hoarding!

Being a broke college kid I didn't have a lot of money for food, & I had bought some canned goods from Deseret Industries because they were cheap.

Deseret Industries is kind of like the Mormon poor farm: if you go bankrupt you can always go can corn and you can grow squash and shovel manure & live out on the on the Deseret Industries spread.

But when you think about it, maybe that's not a very bad idea as a way to run Society.

But what was bad was the food oh my God. I was used to canned and frozen food from maybe Campbells, Libby's Birdseye and Del Monte, and it varried.

But the food from the Deseret Industries cans was invariably worse.

Actually it just tasted like it had been in the can for about 10 years. Yuck.

Since that time I have rarely bought can Foods, as a rule. And I keep thinking about all those Rich Mormons, who, when the shit hits the fan, have to eat that stuff.

If you ever read a book called The Terror, where these guys are stuck in the ice on the ship and they're dying from botulism because all their canned goods are ruined.... well that's what I think about before I remember all those walls covered in cans in the basements.

My feeling about survival when the shit hits the fan does not revolve around living in A well-stocked fort & fending off my enemies.

I believe I'd have a better chance to travel light and head for The High Ground.

Those will come in handy if you have to torture a prisoner or poison a guard dog.

Back