• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tennessee Businesses to be held accountable?

Then I'm Amazed.

I would never have guessed a number as high as 97% in my life. Certainly not these days, the way things are going.

Frankly I don't know what to do in California. If you carry openly you are a criminal, but if concealed you are a criminal too, according to the ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

This makes anybody who carries an outlaw, unless an LEO.

Well I have never been an LEO nor have I ever wanted to be, and while I might have a little bit of that Rambo gene, I don't exercise it.

I'm one of the millions of Americans sitting on the fence, patiently waiting while the Department of Justice pushes us over onto the outlaw side.

One does have to make a choice in these situations. Nobody but ourselves can answer the question of what each of us will decide when presented with this delimma. Whether a decision on how to proceed is made in the moment standing in front of a "no firearms" sign or decided in advance, it would be ill advised to share that thought process on a public forum thereby creating a documented record of intent should one encounter a legal situation down the road as a result of their choice.

Just throwing it out there...

If you are forced to make a decision, will you decide to be the guest of honor at your funeral or at your court hearing?

That is the real question.

And most CCW classes shy away from interpreting the law. They only teach you enough to be dangerous. It is up to each person to research and know the laws and when/where use of deadly force is allowed.

What OA says is true. I teach in TN and you get told the mantra about "threat and fear" basically. Each state has different words that mean essentially that same thing, like Great Bodily Harm one place and Severe Bodily Injury in another.

In my case, I avoid places where one might feel any pressing need to go armed.

Therefore it's all academic to me.

(EDIT... Well, until it's not.)

Last edited:
Right on, Cadd. That's part of the lecture.
First: don't go there.
Second, if there comes to you: Movement, Distance, Cover, Absence.

It wasn't always so. I always carried around in the desert or the wilderness.
I just don't get out there much anymore.
This may change with retirement.

In my case, I avoid places where one might feel any pressing need to go armed.

Therefore it's all academic to me.
I drive through and work in an unsafe area. 50% of our staff are carrying. Anymore, malls, shopping plazas, gas stations etc can be unsafe. The lunatics of our era have shown there are no boundaries and hit anywhere, anytime. Like the Boy Scout motto states...Be Prepared.

I drive through and work in an unsafe area. 50% of our staff are carrying. Anymore, malls, shopping plazas, gas stations etc can be unsafe. The lunatics of our era have shown there are no boundaries and hit anywhere, anytime. Like the Boy Scout motto states...Be Prepared.
+1 same here. There are no safe places any more. Some are better than others but no place is immune from danger.

+1 same here. There are no safe places any more. Some are better than others but no place is immune from danger.

This is absolutely true, and while I may not be carrying a firearm I am not totally unarmed.

I am also lucky to live in one of those places that is much safer. When was the last time a terrorist shot up a small Cow Town?

We might get a Hells Angel or a drunken Cowboy once in awhile but it's pretty rare really.

But just twenty miles from here, kitty corner across Fresno, it's basically little Harlem on one side and new Juarez on the other. They're busting little gangsters every night out there.

I know this sounds ironic but I would not go down to Martin Luther King Boulevard unarmed.

Since I quit doing job site inspections about 25 years ago, I don't have to go to such places at all.

But that being said, I'll be going on vacation next month, & will be taking the guns. I hope to go shooting at the Ukiah Rifle and Pistol Club and also at the Fort Bragg practical Shooters range.

I might also blast a few out in the Shasta-trinity wilderness. Now out there you definitely want a trusty shotgun & a sidearm. A big sidearm.

Hell, you could run into Sasquatch or any number of two-legged predators.

. . . it is my belief that the average firearm owner doesn't know the difference and simply chooses to comply for fear of breaking the law...

I'm afraid that would be me. I'm clearly what you'd consider a 99%er. Suburbanite. No tattoos. I joined the AMA. Seven motorcycles since 1972 but not one ticket on a bike since I was married in '79.

But yesterday Our Beloved Governor Brown signed a law that made thousands more legit guys like me into criminals overnight. NOW, everything previously "grandfathered in" as legal is not. Relics, curios, heirlooms, wallhangers, whatever. We're hosed.

Because our government can't stop all these poor minority kids from shooting each other to death like some video game, our government is grasping at straws to reduce the stats on gun violence. This won't make a visible dent in the stats. It's decoy waving so the government can continually do NOTHING about the real issues, and still feel good about themselves, as they listen to some Eastern mystic ramble on about love for hours, in the statehouse.

They don't have a clue how to address the real problems, of which most of these killings are just a symptom.

But posturing and grandstanding they do with Holywood grandeur, as they commit crime after crime against a very law abiding segment of the population.

Here's the kinda nut jobs we have walking around...this is in my neck-of-the-woods. Graduated from the same HS as my daughter (couple years later, though)...

http://www.wlwt.com/news/west-chest...to-plotting-to-attack-police-station/40400520

Oh I missed this one entirely. This part made me groan...
“Munir Abdulkader was a registered student at Xavier from fall 2013 to spring 2015," a Xavier spokesperson said in a written statement. " . . . university officials have conferred with the FBI, and at no time were our students or campus at risk of harm."

Now how the heck do they know that?
Sounds like total PR BS to me.

They had a radical terrorist as a student but nobody was in danger.

I bet they almost crapped their pants when the FBI told them about this guy.

Oh I missed this one entirely. This part made me groan...
“Munir Abdulkader was a registered student at Xavier from fall 2013 to spring 2015," a Xavier spokesperson said in a written statement. " . . . university officials have conferred with the FBI, and at no time were our students or campus at risk of harm."

Now how the heck do they know that?
Sounds like total PR BS to me.

They had a radical terrorist as a student but nobody was in danger.

I bet they almost crapped their pants when the FBI told them about this guy.
He did nothing to the students at the time so ther retrospective analysis is spot on. LOL

People like this are never a threat....until they are, thats what makes these kinds of people so scary and hard to identify.

Mostly you identify them when they come out of the closet and start shooting.

I would say it is easy to be missed in a large college population like Xavier. If you don't go around shouting that you intend to do something bad then there is no way for anyone to know. He lived well north of the campus and the campus has its own problems to focus on. It would be nice of the FBI or other agencies that are doing the investigating would inform those communities that might be affected by these idiots but that opens its own bucket of worms.

Now Texas is considering legislation to make businesses liable for the danger imposed by "gun free zones."

Texas businesses that ban guns should be liable if unarmed patrons are hurt, Dallas senator says
AUSTIN — Texas businesses that ask customers to disarm themselves will have to pay for injuries incurred in these gun-free zones if state Sen. Bob Hall has his way.

Hall, R-Edgewood, wants to propose a law that will make gun-free businesses liable for "any harm that befalls patrons as a result of being deprived of his or her weapon." The law, Hall says, would "encourage Texas businesses to do the right thing and allow their patrons to carry the firearms they have lawfully trained with for self-protection."

"Currently, while these gun-free zone businesses possess the right to prevent legally licensed to carry permit holders from carrying a firearm while on their premise, there is no designation of responsibility to provide for the safety of their patrons during an active shooter situation," Hall said in a Monday email. "That is about to change this coming legislative session."
- more -​

Full Article at:
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...rmed-patrons-are-hurt-dallas-senator-says.ece

Back