• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

The way the laws are going here, you won't be.
Very little is still on the roster, if you want a new gun.
What is still legal is pretty much sold out or limited quantities.

I came to that realization when I saw what was left on the roster from colt for 2016, pickins seemed extremely slim. I know my TRP was still on roster, but at time of purchase I think it was a 6month to 1yr wait. Luckily I found a barely used one at a decent price. Thank god for PPT and other ppl's ever changing taste or collections.

LOL, this was my first firearm acquisition ,,,, That, and I didn't foresee myself buying very many guns moving forward.

You made an exquisite first choice. Your pistol is a top shelf gun. If you never own another, yours will always be extremely desirable. Now shoot the crap out of it whenever you can. You will never wear it out.

Are there any six-shot or seven- or eight-shot S&W revolvers "on the roster" that are available and affordable in CA? Are used versions highly desired?

BTW 2 new guns were added to the roster this year, but about 120 were removed.

Revolvers don't seem to be too affected by the roster most of the time. It's the semi's that always get the short end of the stick in Cali it seems.

Thas' mighty fast!
oh boy, thats the man right there .....nothing he cant do better. Getting old now.......I watched him get beat a couple weeks ago in a 3 gun .....he went to every eliminator and eventually got eliminated.

Well I got the ATI 1911 today but I have not yet shot it. It appeared to have had several test rounds shot through it and was then put away without cleaning.

I sprayed a little anti-corrosion oil inside this pistol over a week ago, but when I started wiping it all down tonight there was quite a bit of rust inside

Expecting the same Rust that I've seen in all my new non-stainless steel guns recently, I tore it all down.

20160725_002945.jpg

It's a good thing too. Look at all that rust! That napkin was perfectly white when I started.

I gave it a really good cleaning and sprayed it out with anti-corrosion oil. I'll let it soak overnight all oily, and blow it out good with the air hose in the morning and wipe it all down again.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to go up and shoot it at the range soon.

Some other notes:

When I first saw this one I thought the grips were Rosewood, but they are actually Philippine mahogany. They are well made but the wood is cheap.

I have no idea how well this gun will shoot yet but if it does shoot well and I decide to keep it it will definitely get some nicer grips.

Something that I was warned about is these guns have poor quality magazines. The magazine actually appears to be quite well made, but it appears to be quite tight on the ammunition and will probably need some minor adjustment before it feeds properly.

I fed some ammo through it and it seems to feed the round nose Federal .45 easier than the much more expensive hollow point Nosler match grade .45.

I'll have to take a real good look at the feed ramp alignment. Also I'm going to pick up a different magazine and see what happens.

I got my wife to work the action and play with the gun a little bit and it's much easier than she expected it to be.

They make a long list of 45 caliber models which are all variations of this gun. This is the one they call the Military.

I did not do an absolutely complete disassembly of this gun. I only took it as far apart as I know how to take apart a 1911 at this point.

Last edited:
Looks like a sweet little milspec classic 1911. Maybe replace the recoil, firing, and hammer springs though just because you can't be sure if or when those were ever replaced at all.

*scratch that, I just went back and read your first comment on picking this one up and saw that it is a pretty much new gun. *

Well I got the ATI 1911 today but I have not yet shot it. ...I did not do an absolutely complete disassembly of this gun. I only took it as far apart as I know how to take apart a 1911 at this point.

I had done field stripping of 1911's since high school. So when I was in the army I had no fear of digging right in. But the first time I was assigned duty as Sgt of the Guard at Ft. Sill I made the mistake of detail stripping my pistol using a Field Manual just 1 hour before reporting.
Fifteen minutes till Assembly of the Guard I had not completed Assembly of the Gun. DOH!

I couldn't do the tricky [to me] fitting of the leaf spring to sear and disconnector by myself. I wrapped up the parts in a towel and double-timed over to the Brass Shack, burst into the First Sgt's office and threw the collection on his desk.

After a deserved, but abbreviated lecture, he threw the parts back together in less than 5 minutes and I reported just in time for formation.

Good Luck, Cadd. This may help.

P094250007f.jpg

I bought this Chip McCormick 10 round stainless magazine at the local hardware store.
20160727_210721.jpg

20160727_210816.jpg

It looks well made and it fits OK, but no live fire test yet.

I had done field stripping of 1911's since high school. So when I was in the army I had no fear of digging right in. But the first time I was assigned duty as Sgt of the Guard at Ft. Sill I made the mistake of detail stripping my pistol using a Field Manual just 1 hour before reporting.
Fifteen minutes till Assembly of the Guard I had not completed Assembly of the Gun. DOH!

I couldn't do the tricky [to me] fitting of the leaf spring to sear and disconnector by myself. I wrapped up the parts in a towel and double-timed over to the Brass Shack, burst into the First Sgt's office and threw the collection on his desk.

After a deserved, but abbreviated lecture, he threw the parts back together in less than 5 minutes and I reported just in time for formation.

Good Luck, Cadd. This may help.

P094250007f.jpg
I've fully dissassembled a 1911 once before. And yes, the leaf spring and associated parts are a little tough. It took several tries before it went back together right

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I have a question for my much more knowledgeable peeps here. @John A. @nitesite @LAZY EYED SNIPER and anyone else I may have missed unintentionally.

I'm going to change my mainspring housing to an Ed Brown stainless with extended magwell. Something like this;

IMG_0842.JPG

Here's the question part. While I have it apart, should I go ahead and change the mainspring too? And how do I know if it needs to be changed or is it more of an upgrade to eek out some mildly better performance?

Generally you can tell if it needs replaced because you're starting to have light hits on primers and failures because you have to light it off a 2nd time to get it to go off.

If it's a generally newer gun, with good parts, you wouldn't necessarily have to change them unless you're trying to tweak the gun a little.

Says the man that changes stuff on brand new guns just because he can. LOL

Back