• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

California shotgun

CaddmannQ

.50 BMG
Are there any strange new rules about home defense shotguns?

I want one, and have only shot a shotgun a couple times. It was a 12ga w/ 2.75" shells & buckshot, and this is also what I intend to get.

I can pick up a new Armscor, which is supposed to be a Mossberg with different furniture.

The furniture on it sux & I would reconfigure the gun to something more suitable, but I want to stay legal. I assume It will be like setting up an AR. A can of legal worms.

The Armscor M5 has had some pretty decent reviews, I got to handle one at a shop once and was quite impressed. As for upgrade options I think you're gonna be limited. I'm not sure how much of an aftermarket support there is. I know there's one company that makes an extended magazine tube for it but that's about it. It's kinda of like a mix between the 870 and 500... push bolt safety and slide release forward of the trigger guard... but lift gate stays up when the bolt is forward. Lol... enough of the mini review...

Honestly I'd stick with either an 870 or a 500 to have all the options you could ask for... and for only a few $$ more than the Armscor.

Here's what I could find on Komifornia Shotgun rules...

This is the "Reader's Digest" version of the legalese reproduced down below.
  • Shotguns on the assault weapons list are prohibited. This eliminates a total of four "cool looking" shotguns that were big during 1980s / 1990s action movies. You can tell how the legislature formed their opinions of what to ban.
  • Revolving cylinders are prohibited on all shotguns. Whether it's pump action or semi-automatic, the existence of a cylinder on a shotgun renders it an assault weapon. Just like the listed shotguns, action movies are responsible for this ban.
  • Pump shotguns are pretty safe. Without a revolving cylinder, there's no way for it to become an assault weapon due to having pistol grips, vertical handgrips, etc.
    • Pump shotguns can have pistol grips in California. This is re-stated from above, simply due to the overwhelming number of times folks ask this question.
  • Semi-auto shotguns are allowed one "evil feature". This is unlike the rifle and handgun sections of the penal code, and probably reflects the legislature making compromises with hunters within California. This is why the Beretta M3, which a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip, is legal for sale in California but the version with a collapsible (i.e. telescoping) stock is not.
  • Semi-auto shotguns may never have detachable magazines. This is in contrast to the rifle statute, which allows detachable magazines if there is no pistol grip, folding stock, etc. However, a Saiga-12 imported by an off-list manufacturer and equipped with a bullet button or other legally compliant magazine lock is legal.
  • If a shotgun's barrel is less than 18 inches, it's illegal. This is one of the most frequently asked questions about shotguns.
  • If a shotgun is less than 26 inches in overall length, it's 'short barreled', even if its barrel is 18" or longer. This is a strange point, but it's in the penal code.

Ok, so it looks like the shotgun rules have not changed.

Thanks AK, this is very helpful.

I thought the Armscor action felt Ok, but otherwise it seemed incredibly cheaply made. I was going to buy it just to cut it up & mod it, but I have enough projects already.

The Maverick is the Mossberg with different furniture. Good gun and can be had cheap used or at the big box stores.
Anything bought at a gunstore in the Peoples; Republic is probably legal for the time being. CA DOJ has a website.

I'm looking at a 12ga Winchester now, and the price seems attractive.
Unfortunately I don't expect it to be like the Winchesters of old.

win12ga.jpg

I can get this gun for $370 + tax and fees.
This mossberg 500 I can get for $474 + tax & fees
m12.jpg

I get this feeling that if the Winchester was as good, the Army would be buying them instead.
But WTF do I know about shotguns? Virtually nil.

Personally, I'd go with the Mossberg. I'm not saying the Winchester isn't a decent gun but the reason the military doesn't use it is because it isn't American made. The only reason they use FnH and Beretta is because they have plants here in the US and produce the firearms for the military here.

So for me personally, American made first in as much as I'm able. It isn't always possible but with firearms, I'll save or buy used to get the American made gun.

31023.JPG

Here's a Mossberg Maverick 88 18" for $257 shipped from gallery of guns to my neck of the woods.
Just type in Maverick in the search window to find these if you wanna look at them.

I will definitely go to the Sportsman's Warehouse and play with several shotguns before I decide to buy another one. I think I really lucked out on the first one but I don't expect to rely on luck.

For this gun I am not necessarily looking for the cheapest price. I might choose something fancier just because I can.

I agree with this^^^

Some like them. Sometimes it requires an adjustable comb. Some are better than others and some will swear by a particular kind like the Knoxx.

Truth is, that kind of stock isn't designed for shotguns. Mossberg particularly is best suited with a traditional stock. I had a thumb hole stock initially on my 835 and even that was all wrong.

Cheap isn't always the route, but I assumed if it were gonna be used for a project might as well use the most basic of all so there is no wasted money on any redundant features you will end up changing. If you could find a model that has all the features that you want, I'd say go for it.

Yeah the collapsible stock wasn't my favorite idea (particularly after my experiences with the AR) but with an adjustable comb piece it could be usable.

I really do prefer wood on my gun.

Also I don't know about the pistol grip thing on a shotgun. :confused: is this just tacticool nonsense or is a pistol grip shotgun which is not a cruiser (ie no buttstock at all) really an improvement for handling?

As for this being a project gun, well almost everything I own turns into a project eventually. :D

By the way my buddy who hates Mossbergs is constantly trying to steer me to buy a Remington.

The Mossberg is a lot ligher with the tempered aluminum receiver, but my buddy had trouble with the single-rail pump design. I notice a lot of people change that to the Dual rail aftermarket parts.

If I did that and if it eventually out-shot his Remington he might grow a new respect for Mossberg.

Not sure what you mean by single rail pump design. Unless you mean the action bars on either side of the forend that run into the receiver to cycle the action?

If that's the case, I think Mossberg was the first to begin using the dual action bars with regularity.

Head to head I think it's hard to say one will out shoot the other. In my mind you'd have to have the same barrel length, same choke (fixed or otherwise), same ammunition, and set in a lead sled. Anything else is the shooter though there are details which may make one or the other cycle smoother or whatever.

I hate the lifter on the Remington's and any other using the same style. It's in the way of the loading port but I'm certain thumb decapitation can be avoided with practice.

And finally, I hate crossbolt safeties. They require moving the hand from a firing grip to manipulate leaving Mossberg as the only ergonomically correct shotgun.

I also bought a box of 2 3/4" #6, and a box of 2 3/4" #4 to practice with. I think at home I'll keep her loaded with 3" #2.

Back