• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hogue Pistol Grip. Toss it Keep it

Hogue Pistol Grip. Toss it Keep it

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Donald

Copper BB
I just bought a Maverick 88 18.5 barrel home defense shotgun. I also bought a Hogue Pistol Grip,but I'm debating to keep the factory stock based on comments that are mostly against Pistol Grip usage. Also ,my local firing range won't allow pistol grips to be used on shotgun,so I can't practice with it.

Congrats on your new Maverick!

As far as the pistol grip,,,,,mine has been sitting in the box for a long time.:D

Measure up your LOP and use the regular butt stock.

If you can't practice with it, I wouldn't use it.

Some are going to disagree with me, but at least in my case, I didn't gain anything with it that I can't do with a stock except save storage space.

The Hogue is probably the best out there in terms of being comfortable, but the birds head grip is more ergonomically correct for the controls on the Mossberg. But on the maverick it's a cross bolt safety so maybe no issue there.

Even so, I'm going to vote keep the stock.

I love my little 500 with the pistol grip but if you can`t practice with it, probably best not to install it. Enjoy the 88, they are fine weapons!

I'm a bit confused, but that is normal for me, or so I've been told, However......
Is it:
YES toss it, Keep it;
Or is it:
NO Toss it, Keep it?

Put the other stock on. Sell the pistol grip one....

pistol grips on mossberg 500s are good for only one thing. making the safety impossible to reach with one hand.

If it is just a pistol grip, and not a pistol grip "tactical" butt stock, it is small enough that I would keep it. If it is a full or compact size butt stock, I would also keep it noting that you CAN reach the safety on an 88 from the pistol grip.

My shotguns are for shooting flying things. Orange or feathered. Never found a practical use for a pistol grip on a shotgun. Aquired one in a trade once. It sits in a drawer with many other things I will probably never use.

My shotguns are for shooting flying things. Orange or feathered. Never found a practical use for a pistol grip on a shotgun. Aquired one in a trade once. It sits in a drawer with many other things I will probably never use.
but ya kept it.....and you said probably, wise man.....might have to make one of those bird slayers compact someday.....speaking of birds I do like a well done birds head "pistol" grip

The only PG I've found that doesn't suck is the Shockwave Raptor Grip. Awesome grip, geometry takes the strain off the wrist. If it's not feasible at your range, no need using it. I had the Hogue PG, was better than the stock Mossberg one, but the Raptor grip is where it's at.

Roadblocker%20raptor40001_zpskxdeqmq5.jpg

Back