• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mini G Range Report + Video

lol! makes patience hard to come by when you need it most ....always strikes when you need to concentrate on something else

lol! makes patience hard to come by when you need it most ....always strikes when you need to concentrate on something else

Lol probably why I was hitting dirt. Thought I reset my rear sight during a cease fire. Bottomed it out and never put it back. One cease I'm on paper. Next I'm hitting nowhere. I'm like wtf. Ugh gotta drop a deuce. Where's my bullet going. Ugh I'm gonna dig a hole right here.

My 200 Yard Battle Sight Zero with Irons.... Saga:

OK let me start of by saying this... the MINI G is a smooth shooting rifle in .308 Win/7.62 x 51mm. After 160 rounds down the pipe without me cleaning it... directly from Shuff's Parkerizing I've had no FTF, FTE, Light Primer Strikes, nothing. Damn thing just effing works. All that was required from me was to find the sweet spot with the Shusters gas plug which took 7 rounds to do to get it cycling with M80 ball ammo.

Now... the fun:

I didn't have much time to zero in. Had till about noon then I had to head home and take care of my honey do list. I sent back my rear aperture to Shuff who cut it down and sent me back a modified aperture because bottomed out it was 10-12" high at 100 yards.

Wanted to battle sight zero so I just jumped on the 200 yard line and I'm glad I did. Damn thing filled up immediately.

I arrived when the range opened up and was the first few people to enter and start to set up at 915am. First shots at 930 and cease fires every half hour on the clock.

Windage:
I had to reassemble the rear sight components the day before so I knew I had some work to do to get it at zero with irons. Sat down and threw my first sling at the target - 6" high but way left by 8". I had assembled my rear sight to show mechanical zero for windage and moving it over 4-5 clicks was throwing it off a lot. I wanted my rear sight to be a true baseline so my only other option was to float the front sight to the left. By the 5th shot I nailed down the windage. Keep in mind it was a breezy day.... 8-15mph gusts and I was shooting between gusts. This could have effected it slightly but not enough where I need to fiddle with the front sight anymore.

Elevation:

Lord have mercy. Most of it was on me. In fact all of it was on me. My hold point was constantly changing and by the time I finally settled on the hold point I burned up quite a bit of time. In reality I need to pick up some NRA 200 yard High Power targets to do my final verification in about a month or so.

I was initially trying to hold at approximate center of the target. But with a 12" target at 200 yards the front post was difficult to center it. Thus throwing off my bullet path due to inconsistencies in my hold. I finally decided to use a 6 o'clock hold on the entire target which made my shooting more consistent.

My biggest time vampire was due to forgetfulness... I had settled on 11 clicks up (or so I had thought) and then bottomed out the aperture and what I thought was brought it back up to 11 clicks. I must have been distracted during the process and only brought it up to 4 clicks. So I dumped 6 shots in the dirt never hitting paper. Looking through my spotting scope I was livid that I wasn't hitting paper until I realized... my rear aperture was completely incorrect. I wasted an entire 25 minute session between cease fires until I realized my idiocy.

Now I'm rushing to get this done because I needed to zero my red dot at 200 yards too. I finally settled on 12 clicks up... but that's going to change. I'm thinking 10 clicks up will be what I'm looking for.

Here's my settled zero target after my hold points are adjusted and I settled on 12 clicks:

29649539640_8b025b5c7b_z.jpg

Next session I put 8 shots using the same 6 o'clock hold with 12 clicks up. I pulled 2 and I felt it:

29829232292_b6b3fbc9a9_z.jpg

Each click on the standard Garand is 1 MOA. So I'm thinking 1-2 clicks down will get me to where I want to be (4-6" POI above my POA) with irons.

BTW.... notice the larger hole at the top of the target.... some douche probably nailed my target from the 100 yard line right next to me.

Red Dot zero was completely rushed and I had no time to run down and take a snap of the preliminary zero I had for it. It's shooting a little high but windage is solid.

3rd range trip is usually when I settle on my final zero points on my firearms. This will be no exception to the rule. November I will have time to finalize it. I have time off coming to me in November and December so we shall see how the weather is.

That's my long winded story.... and I'm sticking to it.

Water Monkey

awesome!, hate being in a hurry doing that .
today I sighted in my new scope and rigt when i sat down the sun peaked over the hill.....the range i was using faces east .....pissed .

I'm impressed. I know it's not finalized but I'm still impressed.

awesome!, hate being in a hurry doing that .
today I sighted in my new scope and rigt when i sat down the sun peaked over the hill.....the range i was using faces east .....pissed .

Ugh sun glare for $200 Alex

I'm impressed. I know it's not finalized but I'm still impressed.

It should be impressive once I get her all dialed in. As long as I do my part this thing performs. I'm hoping to get about a 6-8" 8 shot grouping at 200 yards with the irons and red dot. If so... this thing is ready for an extended tour if need be.

:cool::cool::cool::cool:
No way could I do that with iron sights.
Gimme at least 9x thank you.
:perfect:

Back