• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NEW PATRIOT

I just ordered a new Mossberg Patriot in 300 Win mag. I have owned a model 70 for about 20 years in the same caliber and found it quite ungainly with it's 26" barrel. The Patriot solves a lot of the problems with my old rifle in that it has a 22" barrel, detachable magazine and fully adjustable trigger. A couple other features I like are the fluted barrel as it has been long noted this does aid in the stability of the barrel. I never had one till 3 years ago when I bought a T/C Venture Predator in 223. This little rifle will shoot the lights out without the added weight of a "bull" barrel. Another feature I like on the Patriot is the fluted bolt. After handling one of these fine rifles I was impressed with the smoothness of the bolt operation. Will post more when I get it and take it to the range.

I just picked up my Patriot this past Wednesday. Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but so far I am really impressed.
I did a thorough cleaning today and oiled the bolt a little and yeah, it just gets smoother.

My guess is y'all will think even more highly of your rifles after shooting them. I know I was pleasantly surprised by the feel & accuracy of mine after shooting a few rounds through her.

I got the .375 Ruger in synthetic stock and Marinecoat finish when new it had a rough gritty feel but that went away quickly and is smooth now and getting smoother every time I shoot it. I think that the Marinecoat was what made it feel the way it did it's like a sand blasted finish and takes a little time to wear in could not be happier so far.

If I had any complaints so far it would be the butt pad it feels soft but under recoil of the .375 it has a hard plastic rib in it just about centered between the screws that digs in pretty hard. If that is all I can complain about I still call it a winner.

love some 300 win mag, nothing it can't do...bet that 26" barrel hit hard !
Good luck with the new rifle

The mod 70 with it's 26" tube did shoot good but carrying it was a hassle. Would be perfect if I was 6'10", lol. I have experienced the accuracy of a fluted barrel with my T/C 223 and think this should be standard on most rifles, but that's my opinion. Really looking forward to shooting the new Mossberg.

Nice, Congrats. Look forward to seeing some pics

Well I picked her up today. Tomorrow morning is cleaning time then out to the range in the afternoon. Will let ya'll know how it works out. BTW, it's a package with a Vortex scope and so far I am loving the looks of that tube, very clear and don't have to hunt for the crosshairs. The scope itself is 200 and picked the package up for 400. Don't know how it could be much better.

Congratulations I just put a Vortex on my Patriot and have two of them in my safe now and I will check them first when I need another.
My problem is lack of time to shoot. Football games and fund raising for football and baseball can't wait to go to work for a break.

Let us know how she shoots
Shawn

Good for you thumbuster, I too bought the rifle w/3x9 scope. I'll admit I was a little disappointed that nobody was proud enough of the scope to stamp their name on it but the glass is clear & it holds zero so far. The other thing I noticed was Mossberg sure didn't skimp on putting oil on the rifle, mine came out of the box & looked like it was dipped in a vat of oil lol

Like was said let us know how she shoots

Congratulations TB.

Imho the fluting on the bolt, it's clearance cuts just like on the British FAL so it runs no matter how much mud and ice you pack in there. A tip of my hat to Mossy for making them spiral and pretty at the same time.

I gotta agree with ya in post #7 and yah these are perfectly balanced carry all day rifles.

Well guys and gals the results are in. After a good cleaning I finally found the range open this weekend and my Patriot did not disappoint. Put 10 rounds through it to get it in the X area, cooling between each three shot string. It was in the mid 90's and when you are burning a shovel full of powder with each shot it gets hot quickly. I then tried to shoot a group. I do not think I was up to my best work but with one in the X ring the next two were within range, ending up with 3/4" center to center. I gave up a Model 70 Black Shadow for this rig and am sure not disappointed. The 70 had a 26" tube and box magazine and though very accurate and capable, it was unwieldy to carry. All I have read tells me the optimum barrel length for the 300 Win mag is 22 inches with any longer being wasted with no gain in velocity. This Mossberg feels lighter but is quite pleasant to shoot with it's very good factory equipped recoil pad.
As of now I am very pleased with the results and look forward to stretching it's legs when the opportunity presents itself. BTW, this is my third 300 Win and it looks like my last one as I am lovin it. On a personal note, her name is Jenny. (yep, I do name them)

Well I had my patriot out this weekend also and all trouble I had came from me putting a cheap set of scope rings on because I had them on hand. Standard duty rings are not heavy enough for .375 with 300gr bullets and 82gr powder. Would get a under 1" group then it would move good news is the rifle done well. When the scope stayed put. Lock tight and heavier mounts should fix it

oli700, Everything I have read on barrel length vs velocity said the same thing. Most rifles will not benefit from a barrel longer than 22 inches. I haven't had a chance to run any over my chronograph yet owing to the local range being terrible, but hopefully will get some data this winter and do my own comparisons to the data recorded from loads that I shot with my mod 70/26" tube. The usual response to shortened barrels was over 22 inches in 300 win mag was decreased velocity. If nothing else this Mossberg is lighter and delivers less FELT recoil. Hitting hard should be no different from mod 70 either.

Well you do get a little bit more out of a longer tube but the key word there is little. What little it is just aint worth the extra bulk and reduced handling in most opinions.

This was the first "group" I tried to shoot with my new Patriot but I know it will get better. These loads were developed for my other rifle so I know this one will need a bit of tuning, loadwise. I'm very happy so far.

Attachments

• MOSSBERG 001.jpg
    MOSSBERG 001.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 23
I am planning to buy a patriot night train 3 in a .308 but some review have said that the bedding tabs break and wont hold accuracy. Has any experienced this problem?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I don't remember where I saw it maybe here but it was a warning not to over tighten screws. My 375 Ruger has no trouble so I think the 308 should be fine

Back