• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

firing pin

aqua

Copper BB
Last weekend went shooting and my 715t firing pin broke and jammed up under the bolt.
My dilemma; I'm Canadian, on Mossberg's web site it says to ship entire gun to one of two repair places in Ont. that don't have stellar reviews on google, also I'm in B.C. and the only magazine I have is the 25 shot it came with.
I'm not about to send it to them only to have it return with a ten shot one.
I called them and they said sure we will repair it if your prepared to wait. I said maybe by xmas? and they just laughed.
I tried online sites like havlin's etc to no avail so I thought to send it to Mossberg texas but I would have to cross the border with a gun or gun parts and that would be too risky, so I called Mossberg and they said sure we'll send a new one for $8 I'm so happy as I like this gun and without a little firing pin it would just be something to hang on the wall

Even though it's costing you $8. With all the BS going back and forth sounds like that's the best move for ya'.:thumbsup:

I'm sure you can fix it yourself with minimal tools. Just make sure there isn't a round stuck in the chamber from the misfire/pin break. Show us a pic of your issue. That gun is a "clamshell" design--bunch of screws hold two halves together. I believe most are the same size. GooToob probably has plenty of videos on how to disassemble/assemble. You'll need to get it down to the barrel/receiver to get at the bolt/firing pin... The Owner's Manual may show the procedure.

BTW, Welcome Aboard, Water!

Last edited:
Get yourself the proper size drift and a drift block (see pics). Only drive the roll pin out enough to get the firing pin in--just over halfway. Then drive the roll pin back in until flush evenly on both sides. Alternately you could use a block of wood with a hole drilled in it for the roll pin to go into and a standard flat tipped drift. Pics are courtesy of Midwayusa.com.

I would be curious to know how the firing pin broke in the first place...

PS: it would be a good idea to gently file any sharp edges from the new firing pin before you put it in. Sometimes stampings will have some sharpies that should be dealt with. Do not touch the ends where the hammer contacts it or where it hits the cartridge primer.

265720.jpg

392639.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum aqua !!

Enjoy our community...

Thank you Shooter and Bobster.
It is only because of this forum that I was able to figure out what was wrong with my 715

Wow my firing pin finally showed up, thank you mossberg even if it did take five months. I swear I will never dry fire again

Your Welcome! :)

5 months to get a firing pin is a bit much... :( Sometimes it is worth it to check other sources such as Midway, Brownells, etc.

Get a "snap cap" or similar if you want to dry fire. In a pinch, a previously-fired case could be used. Keep in mind that both will be extracted and ejected with each cycle of the bolt...

Back