• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 question

yobigworm

Copper BB
I have a 590A1 18" barrel with the 7 shot magazine tube. well i am looking to upgrade my follower and magazine spring. i have been having problems finding answers. i have herd the GG&G follower is very good as well as the wolff spring. but i have also herd using them in combination you lose capacity. what are you guys using?

Look at the design and size of the follower to help determine if it will help or hinder capacity. The follower that I chose for my 590 7shot(6+1) model:550778 to use is very similar to the factory one accept for the mere fact that it is aluminum, anodized orange, and a hole in the center to decrease any pressurization as it moves in the magazine tube. It is very much like a cup design with the mag spring behind it, so most minimal in size. I used that follower with the factory spring and factory tube extension on my mag tube and capacity wasn't increased. I then switched to the Wolff spring and it made just enough space to clear an extra round with the mag spring completely "100%" compressed making it into a just barely 7+1. Adding a slightly larger mag extension that now sits flush to my muzzle now didn't give me any more capacity for another round but the now less spring compression was more reliably acceptable. Not sure if my experience will be the same as yours but I figured I would just share how things worked out for me.

Last edited:
Here is a stock photo of the follower I used. My shotgun is extremely similar to yours being the only difference is I have the standard barrel instead of heavy and my trigger assembly is polymer instead of metal but the mag tube capacity should be the same as yours.
s-l500.jpg

That OR3Gun follower looks pretty darn nice.. and after looking at the website and seeing the comparison of the "other" followers to similar looking shells and reading the explanation, it made sense to me, why blue. It's also great for visibility in low light. For those that are too lazy to click the link I just copied it into my post here. To show that comparison I mentioned. I'm not competing in any 3-gun comps so mine will do just fine for me, but this is good to know still.
SPX-BnP-Follower-Sized.jpg
SPX-Red-Follower-Sized.jpg
SPX-Gray-Follower-Sized.jpg
SPX-Orange-Follower-Sized.jpg

The majority of bulk pack and other common shot shell types seen in 3-gun can be quickly mistaken for standard followers in both color and design. When an RO that may not be used to what a shooter is running checks a grounded shotgun in a dump box, we like to give them every possible reason to take a closer look. Unless you run rarely encountered blue shot shells, the OR3GUN Enhanced Competition Follower is a better contrast for 'clear'. What are the odds of loading a shell backwards, really? We used to think it was just the local newbie that did things like that, until we saw a popular sponsored shooter on Facebook with their gear all loaded up like this for a stage. The image quickly disappeared from their sponsor's feed after becoming Facebook Fodder for the day, but it was a lesson that we ALL make mistakes, no matter how many logos are on our shirts.

okay so reading threw everything i think i am going to try the s&j hardware magazine tube extension i like the way it sits flush with the 18.5 inch barrel and it will increase my magazine tube to 7 rounds. the follower looks good and so does the spring possibly will try a wolff spring.

I also have another question my 590a1 is 50774 model 18.5 barrel 6 shot tube with the mossberg ghost ring sights. is it possible to get a heat shield over the ghost ring sight on the barrel?

The only heatshield I know that will fit your heavy barrel is aimpro and they've shown out of stock on their website ever since I've known of them. If you could get your hands on one of those heatshields the only way I know of installing them with grs is with bending the ears and ring outward to clear the barrel and then basically clamping it on the barrel and bending the ring and ears back into place. I'm not keen on that idea because I'd be to afraid of damaging it myself. On the s&j extension and follower, I believe it comes with a wolff spring already. At least that's what I have been noticing on eBay when I see them for sale there.

Last edited:
Back