• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Slugs are like Kicking Mules !!

Lefty9

.270 WIN
I was able to shoot my Patrick Flanagan Rhythms 930's to my hearts content . Shot hundreds of rounds of double ought buck and birdshot thru them without a hitch . But then a nephew asked me to try one of his slugs - and let me tell you , that thing hurt my shoulder - REAL BAD ........I was not able to shoot next morning because of the soreness .

Try one or all of these to cushion the buttstock the next time you shoot slugs... :D (just kidding!)

View attachment 13576 View attachment 13577 View attachment 13578
LOL!
I did some sighting in with my 20" 870 barrel w/rifle sights this summer. Was using 2 3/4" slugs...I lasted about 45 mins and about 20+ rds. I was done. Sights weren't as good as I'd like but couldn't take anymore punishment. Glad I don't have to rely on it for hunting! For bush hiking or being back up for a hunting partner...I always load 00 buck anyway....

I can shoot the 30-30 lever w/metal butt plate all day, no problem. My 270 Win. is a kitten compared to those slugs.

Last edited:
I've run thru a couple boxes of target-converted-slug rounds (there's a thread on here somewhere about them) without any problems. My 500 cleaned my clock shooting slugs until I put a Limbsaver on it. Now, not so much.

I just found some fiocchi 3 gun slugs for 0.67 cents each. Bought a couple hundred to try out at that price.

188698.jpg

That was a pretty good price.

Most times, slugs are $1 a pop, sometimes ~.75 or .85 cents on sale.

3" magnum slugs are no joke. Even some 2 3/4 slugs are no joke. Try them out of a pump gun or double barrel gun, they kick even harder.

Try them out of a light singleshot break action. They can be down-right brutal.

I have a stoeger coach gun that is chambered for 2.75 and 3 inches. It is a no recoil absorbing solid stock and weighs 6.5 lbs with 20" barrel. So when I first got it I wanted to try out both barrels of 3" shells. All I can remember is that I lost track of time for I guess a couple of seconds (I think) after shooting both barrels. The kick was so brutal, the noise was deafening and it really did shake me up. I staggered back to the table and put the coach gun down. I said I would never do that again.

So ten minutes go by and I can't believe what just happen and though now I know what to expect. So guess what I did? Yup, loaded up two 3" shells and repeated the process. I have never put 3" shells anywhere near that gun since.

Try them out of a light singleshot break action. They can be down-right brutal.

I did recently try a 3" turkey load from one. It was awful messed my shoulder up for awhile. Even two weeks later when I shot one of my guns, it messed me up again. It took a few more weeks before I could shoot again and even then it was only because I had too and I was surprised everything felt like it had returned to normal.

I'm finding that as I get older, the things that used to heal overnight, are now taking longer.

I have a stoeger coach gun that is chambered for 2.75 and 3 inches. It is a no recoil absorbing solid stock and weighs 6.5 lbs with 20" barrel. So when I first got it I wanted to try out both barrels of 3" shells. All I can remember is that I lost track of time for I guess a couple of seconds (I think) after shooting both barrels. The kick was so brutal, the noise was deafening and it really did shake me up. I staggered back to the table and put the coach gun down. I said I would never do that again.

So ten minutes go by and I can't believe what just happen and though now I know what to expect. So guess what I did? Yup, loaded up two 3" shells and repeated the process. I have never put 3" shells anywhere near that gun since.

That's too funny.

3" 00 buck can be pretty punishing too. But, it sure is fun!

Oh man , what a bunch of enlightening and funny responses !
If there is such a thing as a 3" magnum slug : I am sure as heck never going near one ! Happy Halloween:)

Well you fellers are better men then I .
I had never shot a shotgun slug b4 , and I am a large man , 340 lbs and 6"5" tall .
The reg. 12 ga. slug I shot about broke my shoulder thru my nephews 12 ga. pump.
And yes, I must admit I never been kicked by a mule -nor have I ever kicked one back - but I do not look forward to EVER shooting a slug again !

A guy at the range gave me a 3" slug round to put through my SPX and the RSO hung a plastic bowling pin as my target. I was expecting the aforementioned recoil, but it really wasn't so bad. Put a respectable sized hole in that bowling pin as well.

My 12ga only shoots 2-3/4" and it's a pistol grip Cruiser as well.

I thought my right hand was going to be very sore after shooting that gun, but after 35 rounds of 00 buck and various birdshot, I was very relieved.

It turned out to be very controllable, and my hand was fine afterward.

Anyhow, I bought another 100 rounds of 00 buck and a box of 1oz slugs.

I hope to go try them out tomorrow. I've never shot slugs before.

Back