• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

12ga 2.75 vs 2.5 shells

BruceAcworthGa

.22LR
Supporter
just curious about thoughts. I own a maverick 88 12ga stock (for now) with 18.5 bbl and 5+1 capacity. Wondering if the extra shot capacity by using 2.5in shells is worth it.....comments on ejection problems, load difference, payload difference etc..... I searched for this topic and could not find.

Thx

I don't think that difference in shell length will increase your capacity.

That said shell length varies and with some the accumulated extra length will reduce capacity by one. I have seen this more with extended magazines.

I have a Maverick 88 and I load low recoil 2 3/4" Federal LE132 or XM127 rounds. I have a 6 round side saddle mounted to the receiver. I had to do it again I would get a 6 round buttstock side saddle instead. I also have a streamlight LED light as well. I have since replaced the TLR-2 with a TLR-1s instead.

ea6dc18d4b4806d2e6a57328c75e1bfd.jpg

Thanks, looks good.

I found out I can get 1 extra round in the tube bu using 2.5" shells.

I just ordered a magazine clamp like yours for a flashlight. FYI folks I ordered the bell and Howell tac light on tv, 19.95 with one free, FYI works great and very bright light.

Nobel Sport sells a 2¼" shell. Should give you one additional round in the tube. But the rounds only contain 6, 00 pellets, so you are giving up a little there. Aguila sells a 1¾" shell that has 11 pellets in it. 7 #4 shot and 4 #1 shot. Don't know how reliably they will feed in an 88 without the adapter.

Aguila short shells won't fee in the 500 worth a hoot. Never tried one with an adapter, but out of the box, they don't work in any feeding system I have tried except a single shot or double barrel where they're inserted manually.

I received the adapters yesterday. Mini shells should be here Wednesday. I'll let you know how the adapters work.

Last edited:
I have measured the regular 2 3/4" shells. They aren't 2 3/4" until after they are fired. Different brands vary in actual length. I suspect the mini shells are closer to 1½" out of the box.

I have a Maverick 88 and I load low recoil 2 3/4" Federal LE132 or XM127 rounds. I have a 6 round side saddle mounted to the receiver. I had to do it again I would get a 6 round buttstock side saddle instead. I also have a streamlight LED light as well. I have since replaced the TLR-2 with a TLR-1s instead.

ea6dc18d4b4806d2e6a57328c75e1bfd.jpg

Thanks for posting the info on the low recoil shells, as I am healing from a fractured disc in my back, and would hate to damage it because of hard recoil

I have measured the regular 2 3/4" shells. They aren't 2 3/4" until after they are fired. Different brands vary in actual length. I suspect the mini shells are closer to 1½" out of the box.

That is exactly why I asked the question. :)

Back