• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Riding targets

Well, this is my review of my 2016 goals. Not very good.

1) Red Boiling Springs, TN for the MC museum. www.cyclemos.com/ 319 East Main Street. I'll try again.
2) US 129 in TN and NC Deals Gap tailofthedragon.com/. As soon as the temps at altitude are good, I'm off.
3) www.wheelsthroughtime.com/ Wheels Through Time is a antique MC musuem in Maggie Valley NC about 110 mile from home. They have a TV series called "What's in the Barn?" that tell the stories of how they acquire some of the old cycles and cars.
4) Veterans of All Wars Museum in Chickamauga GA.
http://chickamaugan.com/index.php/what-to-do/museums/113-veterans-of-all-wars-museum
I've been by it, but it was closed. I shall return.
5) and some non-destination roads in SC, MS, and KY. Might as well hit VA while I'm going north.

The best part of the 2016 agenda was seeing the museum Wheels Through Time which included hooking up for a ride with WNCmotard. Definitely a hit.

I made Veterans of All Wars Museum 3 different times. Second hit.

I made only 2 miles of US129 from the Skyway to Robbinsville. So that was a miss.
I waited too long to go to Red Boiling Springs. When I was ready in September I checked their calendar and they had no more open dates for that year I could make. My wife would like to go up their, so 2017's trip will be by van.
I completely missed any of the new states SC, MS and KY.

But in spite of that I still consider my 2016 riding very rewarding.

2016 Score: 2 for 5

While I did get Baggins the Nomad all fixed up I didn't get to do much riding this year.

I rode out to the shooting range a couple times, but other than that and a few little trips around locally I've spent all my time playing with the guns and haven't ridden the motorcycle much at all.

I planed to do some riding this weekend but I came down sick & well that's that for 2016.

I was going thru some email that is over 6 years old and I ran across some letters I exchanged with Gary France from England. He is a REALLY long distance MC tourer. He has done a lot in Europe and made a 21,000 mile tour across the US in the summer of '10.

I first became acquainted with him on the MC-USA motorcycle forum where I had the screen name Well Enuff. He was asking advice about places to see by cycle along his planned route. Since I lived only 60 miles north of Milwaukee where he targeted for late July, I offered to ride w/ him and buy him a dinner if he wanted. As it came out, another forum member, Wisart, [real name Dan] was able to join up with us. He lived nearer to MKE an was valuable in pointing us to some drinking/eating spots.

Here we are in front of the Harley Davidson Museum.
Well Enuff [R!ch] ... Gary France... Wisart [Dan]
05.jpg

Gary France writes> In keeping with my aim to take a photograph every time my tour trips over another 1000 miles, here is the 5000 mile photo, taken in central Milwaukee when riding back to the hotel. Rich and Dan were with me, so it is right they are in the picture....
40.jpg

Gary France writes> Rich on a V-Rod drag bike....
31.jpg

Gary France writes> Me on a side-car outfit with a foot clutch. It would take a long time to get used to that....
32.jpg

If you are interested in more of Gary France's Milwaukee days of the US tour see this link:
http://garysusatour.blogspot.com/2010/07/h-d-museum-james-bond-5000-miles-and.html

All of his writing of the tour are available by clicking on the right side of his blog in the calendar listings.

Garys%2BRoute%2B01.jpg

Thank you scoop. MCUSA seems like a very long time ago.

Nowadays my Target seems to be to get out and ride at all. With all the rain it's been horribly inconvenient.

Scoop, the Wheels Through Time trip was a hit for me as well. And I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you, and riding with you. I very rarely ride the moto anymore, I spend all that time on bicycles these days. It keeps me in better shape, and lets me see things in my own neck of the woods that I've never gotten to experience. There's some really good back road stuff, and sights over by the Tail of the Dragon also. If you want to hit that up this year, let me know. I've changed jobs, so weekends are much easier to schedule now. Hope you and your family are doing well buddy.

... There's some really good back road stuff, and sights over by the Tail of the Dragon also. If you want to hit that up this year, let me know...
I appreciate that. But my plans have gelled too fast to give you an invitation.
I am going to hit the Gap on a Wed or Thurs after checking temps, precip, road conditions in the morning. When everything add up to GO, I'm leaving 8:30 am or before.
Probably will do it on Wed 10/4/17 which is only 30 hours away as I write.

Here is my route.
https://www.plotaroute.com/route/503594

I'm basically doing it because everybody I talk to asks me if I made the trip. So I'll do the one section of 129 that I have not been on yet. Gotta check this off and I'm done with it. I'll write you my review when I'm done.

images

Back