• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Waterfowl failure to feed while shooting

Harley2up

Copper BB
I bought a new Mossberg 930 waterfowl last month to duck hunt with. I mopped out the barrel to make sure it did not have any grease in it, took it hunting the next day and it failed to cycle after second shot on a group of ducks. The shell coming out of the magazine tube jammed with about 1/2 inch of the base of the shell sticking out of the tube. The fired case ejected just fine and the bolt locked back. When I got home I thoroughly cleaned the gun according to the video by Jerry Miculek. Took it back out and the same thing happened. I then tried leaving a thin film of oil on the piston, still had the same problem. I have cleaned the piston, piston rings and groves, magazine tube and all receiver parts and bolt. Nothing helped. Also, it cycles just fine by hand. I am sending it back to Mossberg for repair. Any body have the same problem? Any idea what to expect from Mossberg?

Mossberg is pretty decent about fixing their firearms. Most reports are positive. I heard of burrs that cause the shells to hangup or fail to feed. There were some questionable magazine followers in the past but haven't seen much of that recently.

Do a search on "failure to feed" here on MO and you'll find plenty of discussion on it.

Let us know how your 930 comes back from Mossberg and how it shoots after any repairs.

BTW, welcome to MO.

2up. Welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.

Interesting situation with your 930. I am not a gunsmith, but it sounds like you approached the solution in sensible manner. Often we've suggested to let Mossberg take a look at new misbehaving guns. I think you'll get good service from them. We'd like to know from you later how this works out.

I'm not an expert on guns but from the little that I know it seems that the gas system is OK if the gun cycles the spent shell. I'm guessing that there may be an issue with the mag tube, follower or mag spring, since the new round is still half way inside the mag tube.

Sent from my DIGICEL DL1000 using Tapatalk

You should not need to send it back to Mossberg. Should be able to fix it yourself in a few minutes. Sounds like you have the "feed from the tube" problem. Most common on guns with magazine extensions, but can still happen on all 930's. Just not as common. Brownells has a really good write up with detailed instructions, and photos. It's common enough that if you type "Brownells 930" into Google, it's the very 1st suggestion that they give you.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=...ing-A-Mossberg-930-Feed-From-The-Tube-Problem

Thanks guys. The gun arrived at Eagle Pass, TX today. Got my fingers and toes crossed. Will let you know how it turns out. It was already on the truck to TX before the advice about the feed tube and checking the Brownells web site. Wish me luck.

My 930 came back last week after a long wait. I'm a little disappointed with customer service. It took a lot longer than the three weeks they said it would take. The last time I called to check on it they said they would send a tracking number when it shipped, they did not. When it arrived there was no paper work telling what they did to the gun so I had to call again to find out. It seems the follower was the problem, they replaced it with a different design. I don't have the old one so I don't know the difference between the old one and the new one. It does seem to work though. Another thing that ticked me off was the condition of the barrel when it came back. Some how they managed to scratch the bluing and nick the rib. Also the bluing on the barrel where the forearm covers it was worn off on both sides. This was a new gun with no scratches or anything when I sent it back. As I said, I am disappointed with their customer service and the quality of the gun in general.

Man I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your 930. I just got my waterfowl 930 a month ago and I'm having so much fun I'm like a kid again. I have shot hundreds of rounds through it with "one" FTF (Winchester) and I have shot every kind of load and manufacture I can get my hands on and it eats it all and seems to get better the more it breaks in. I would definitely call Mossberg about the scratches on the barrel, that would piss me off also.

Last edited:
I snap the bolt with some authority and it will feed a shell every time. I clean the piston and gas tube after each trip to the range.

Back