• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Help!

Byrd

.22LR
Short version; I came home a couple days ago and the neighborhood was sealed off by LEO'S. A kidnapping suspect was trying to hide in the neighborhood! Officers with AR'S were searching a 10 square block radius! An officer in front of my house told me to make sure no one was inside...

So I loaded up my short barreled 88 with 00 buck and leaned it against my bench while I worked on another project. So of course I knocked it over and the pin that holds the trigger group fell out!

Does anyone know if a replacement pin is made for the 500/88 guns that will lock in place? I know they make them for AR's so I'm searching for something similar for my shotgun. Just a small fall and the pin coming out didn't give me much faith in a gun when I might've needed it. I have black electrical tape on both sides now.

End of story; they caught the guy without incident, but I still want to fix my shotgun!

Is that the same for the 500?

Mine are new and tight, but I can see where this is going.

Never mind. I can see that it is the same. In fact Brownell's lists it for the 500 specifically.

Just remember, all those "addons" become "takeoffs" when it's time to strip and clean.

Byrd, a couple of folks have mentioned their pin being a bit loose over the years. The pin is *supposed* to be held in with a flat spring of a sort bent into a V shape. The TINY bit. If you take out your trigger group and hold it so it's aimed directly forward of you you'll see a small rectangular hole at the back right edge. Right next to the trigger bar. If you take your pin and slide it into the round hole in the group that it fits into, you'll see that tiny spring in that rectangular hole that grips the ring notch in the pin. It's supposed to grip the ring notch. With use, that spring can work itself out of the hole a bit and it will snag on the trigger group plastic and not grip the pin. It's an easy fix, though. Just take a really narrow punch and stick it right down the middle of that V spring and push it all the way back down into the hole. Try the pin again. It'll grip the pin tight like it was meant to.

Last edited:
Thanks Richard, good info to know! I'll check it out this afternoon. I was surprised when that happened because my shotgun is only a few months old with maybe 300 rounds through it.

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using Tapatalk

I have to go check this too.
My pin hasn't fallen out, but I was surprised at how easy it was to remove...

OK, If I grab the receiver at the barrel end and whack the back end against my palm, the pin will pop out a little.

The little spring seems to be working.

Yes they did. He lives in an apartment complex in the neighborhood and he just went home. Dummy he is!

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using Tapatalk

Push the spring all the way down, Cadd. The pin shouldn't be popping out at all. Properly working, it should take a punch and some hand pressure to push it out. There should be a small click as the spring engages the pin notch.

You can examine that spring by pushing the pin into the hole, trigger group in your hand, and grab the front edge with some sharp tweezers.

I'll take it to shoot this weekend to test my new shells, and then I'll tear it apart and check it all out when I clean the thing.

BTW, Does anyone make a metal trigger group for the 500?

I'll take it to shoot this weekend to test my new shells, and then I'll tear it apart and check it all out when I clean the thing.

BTW, Does anyone make a metal trigger group for the 500?
Check Brownells, Sometimes they have 590A1 replacement trigger groups which are metal. There is an issue though using it on a Mav88. You will loose any safety due to the Mav has a crossbolt on the trigger housing and the 500/590 uses a tang safety on the top of the frame. From my experience the plastic housing is strong and you should have no issues with it.

Back