• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Boyd's Stock and Fore End for a 930

Mike D -

This I hope was a fluke as I have purchased several Boyd's stocks before and was pleased with them . I bought a custom stock for my .22 Mag. Marlin XT Rifle a month ago ...and come to think of it , it had a couple minor finish and fit issues as well . I don't mind a little tweaking as it's kind of fun getting it to fit the gun just right .
But : I still haven't got enough of the wood ground off to get it to fit right on my 930 . I cracked the bottom of the forearm a wee bit and slipped with the dremmel and made an ugly skid mark as well !
The stock had their cheap recoil pad GLUED to the wood and was troublesome to chisel loose ........you know ,

I'm going to say their QC is suffering - they are apparently cutting corners and using employees that are not properly skilled in their attempt to keep up with demand and big back logs .

you know - as i look carefully at the forend , I see it is really a hack job and a half . I'm gonna have my son take some pix and I will post them . I should have looked it over carefully when I opened the box - but I wasn't expecting a piece of crap from Boyd's !

I look fwd to seeing picks. I've been looking at them for my 930 for a while now.

Oh the agony ............! I tried to take telling images, cropping and changing contrast and sharpening ,etc......... but you really cant tell sheet from them . Each one is a photo of a defect in craftsmanship though . I think the forearm is only 45$ ; so I may just order another one .IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0332.JPG IMG_0331.JPG IMG_0330.JPG IMG_0329.JPG IMG_0335.JPG IMG_0333.JPG

oh boy ; I still can't get the thing to seat down all the way .........seems I may have been too harsh on Boyd's .
The orig. plastic forend doesn't even have all those internal ridges that are "hacked" up on the inside of the walnut one . So maybe the poor stock is not as poorly constructed as I initially thought . But it is frustrating - like a danged puzzle . I'm going to have to use chalk or something to mark and see where the heck it's binding ........
I'm thinking now it's getting hung up on the end OPPOSITE to where I have been grinding !

well, another long hour wasted ............I just can't figure it out . My whole adult life I have been blessed with mechanical and dexterity skills far beyond those of mortal men - now , at 60 years of age - I find out I'm an idiot ,my arse kicked by a mis-shapen piece of wood !

well, another long hour wasted ............I just can't figure it out . My whole adult life I have been blessed with mechanical and dexterity skills far beyond those of mortal men - now , at 60 years of age - I find out I'm an idiot ,my arse kicked by a mis-shapen piece of wood !
Bummer. One would think it would not be that hard. I had a blackhawk forend on a 835 that also required a lot of tooling and grinding to get it to fit. Ultimately it failed as by the time I got it to fit there was not enough plastic left and it eventually split.

MikeD

.........I have left it alone for a few days , it may be it's just not going to fit flush down on the receiver .

I can see the defects pretty well from the photographs, and that's an awful poor piece of wood work to pay $45 for.

I've been looking to buy a wood stock from Boyd's myself, but I will be more circumspect after reading this.

Caddmann -
I was told by Boyds Rep. lady that my stock "was in production" when I called to modify my orig. order ; but when the stock came it had a manufacture date of two years ago according to the sticker !
I think they sent me a "second" they retrieved from the trash , I really do . No way any Q.C inspector would let the p.o.j. they sent me get shipped out representing their Company.
Oh yes, if I might add , I sure should have paid for their Limbsaver recoil pad ....the shape of their stock is totally different from the Mossberg butt and only way to get one now is to buy the "grind to fit" one . And thats a huge pain in the a$$ and costs some $50 bucks !!

I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse for $36 and tax but it definitely was some work to fit it to the gun.

Much better than the Winchester pad however.

Boyds should be ashamed, I imagine they are very busy right now. They quoted me 7- 9 weeks to make & ship a custom Walnut stock. You know in reality that means three months at least!

Oh by the way, "in production" simply means that the order has been processed and sent to the shop.

She would have no way of knowing if your piece of wood was in The Mill at any particular Moment In Time.

Just like I have no idea why my cellphone is capitalizing all these random strange words.

"Who am I? Why am I here?"

-Admiral James STOCKdale.

That's about as obscure as I think I can get today.

I bought some powdered chalk and will sprinkle some all over to see if I can find the problem ......
and yes, I do feel like Agorn from "F" Troop

IMG_0009.JPG I got it ! this pix show the part thats not cut right .I'm going to have to get crafty to figure out a method for removing the 1/4" of wood inside the arm.
I also added some hopefully better pix of the internal hack job.....

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 7
Well it's good to see that you got it figured out. They gave you the correct piece of wood but configured for a gun with a shorter slide in the forearm.

Yes, you state that well Caddman ......... I'm on my way this morning to shoot with my son and his new "Silver Montefeldo" ! $1500 bucks of pure ego !!

Last edited:
Don't tell him that the engraving was done by an industrial robot.

Back