• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

common core is stupid

Schools are simply not what they were when we grew up Mike. And I know and agree with what you said and know that it wasn't directed to anyone in specific.

And the "it takes a village" comment was one of the statements that I did agree with, but that was based on my experiences growing up in the neighborhood that I had. The village is a terrible choice in other places. I wouldn't want some areas to have any influence at all on my children.

I couldn't tell you the junk today that we didn't have to deal with. And the school my kids goes to is probably one of the better ones aligned with my views. At least as much as one could I suppose.

My wife and I are very involved in our kids' education. Always have been. And we have had more than one discussion about homeschooling and are not very far away from actually doing it.

There is a private school that I have considered, and my oldest son went there for kindergarten and first grade and they were great.

But the down side to them is they only go up to the 6th grade. So, my youngest wouldn't be attending very long. Then would be thrust back into public school, after being taught "the right way" and would probably not "conform" back to their standards which would cause problems down the road.

But as long as the government "requires" kids to be enrolled in school, and the government is "in charge" of schools what and how they're taught, nothing is going to change. I'm not anti-school at all. I'm very much for a good education.

But I do expect the school to offer a good education. Not this junk.

The bigger issue is that too may students have parents that do not take an active role in their children education, or lives in general. Schools cannot do everything, some of the responsibility has to fall on the parents. For too may the school has become the only source of learning, only meal and only structure these kids have.

THIS! ^^^^^ "parents" expect to ship their kids off to the babysitter...er...I mean the school, with absolutely no parental common sense education or teaching of morals then wonder why little Johnny got suspended... :rolleyes: Then they raise a stink because their little uncontrollable, uncivilized miscreant ends up getting expelled! :mad: I firmly believe parents are responsible for their children's behavior now and in the future. If little Johnny commits a crime, the parents should have to pay for the crime, as well.

Here in FL, there is "free" childcare after school and free meals not only during the school year but during the summer! :mad:

There are a number of charter schools that are doing quite well. My neighbor's kids went to an "Arts" school up until 8th grade (when it ends) and they haven't turned out too badly so far. One is now in high school is has adapted to the change. We thought of putting our kids in that school but they did not want to go--fortunately, our "zoned" schools are not bad.

I tried to help my kids with problems like this

"No dad, we have to do like the teacher showed us!"

"Forget her, there is more than one way to figure things like this out! Why they even teach it this way is nonsense! Here, let me show you an easier way..." As far as I was concerned, if they arrived at the correct answer, then who cares how they got there. I still get resistance but they are surprised when I do show them a different way on doing something, especially math.

But it is agony sometimes watching a clerk make change. They glance at the register readout a half dozen times before finally giving the change. Or I'll throw them for a loop and give them an unusual amount. The total is $6.10 and I'll give them $11.25 (for example). I already know my change will be $5.15 but I've had them give me a ten back (which I return and then give them a math lesson).

Yeah, my kids won't do it the "easy way" either. Said they had to do it their way and have to show the work on paper.

Which bugs me to no end. And perhaps why I get so upset at stuff like this.

No employer wants to hire someone that takes 3x as long to solve a problem.

As for your example of giving a clerk change, there's an easier way. And it always works.

Item is $6.12, hand the clerk any amount higher, then the change will start at $6.13 and go to the nearest one, five, ten or whatever denomination bill until you get to the amount they gave you.

On an off topic note that you reminded me of, one time I got my pay check and I went next door to the grocery story to cash my check, the lady that ran their bank window was the owners wife. She could be a bit testy, but was the most simple for me and my bank was closed.

So, I go, stand in line and get back to the car and count my money. Counted it 3 times and she had given me an extra $20 bill.

So, doing the right thing, I go back inside to give it back to her. Stand in line AGAIN (probably 3 or 4 people in front of me). I finally make it back to the window and told her "Peggy, I think you made a mistake when you were counting out my check" and before I could finish my sentence, she cut me off and said "I counted that money when I gave it to you and you should've told me I made a mistake before you left the window and I'm not giving you any more."

Embarassed, I told her "OK then, I'll just keep that extra $20 bill you gave to me then" and I turned around to leave and the folks in line standing behind me started dieing laughing as she followed me out of the building asking me to return the money.

For what it's worth, the last thing I said to her before going through the door was that "You should've counted the money before I left the window." and I said it loud enough for everyone to hear me.

And yes, I did keep it.

Back