• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Have you guys found quality 00 buckshot for less than this ?

Robert Smith

Copper BB
B9C1BD95-A9E9-49D9-8937-5F4AD42E793A_zps4zqwmvvd.jpg

9CF497F1-539B-43AD-8CA2-1A8BA1E07E90_zpsaphokkae.jpg

I recently picked up my first Mossberg, a Maverick 88 and have bought a few boxes here and there. I usually by my ammo at SGAMMO but MidwayUSA has been selling 12 gauge S&B 00 buckshot for $69.99 a case. That's $30 a case cheaper than the next cheapest brand I could find. I bought a few cases and just got them in. Everything was packed well. I just went to the range and everything feeds and fires well. $.28 a round is less than I pay for .223, and even a lot of better 9mm. Considering the lethality of it, that's pretty decent.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...munition-12-gauge-2-3-4-00-buckshot-9-pellets

Last edited:
Locally, I'm paying $25 for 5 pounds of double-ought buckshot so it's almost impossible for me to reload that cheaply.

But what did they charge you for shipping & fees?

12 gauge buckshot loads here are going for about a dollar each, in small quantities. I have not seen any large boxes available. Five shots only.

$3.75 for a 5 pack is about the best price I can remember recently.

It is just one person's experience, and I have not heard anyone have the same problem, but the only FTFs I have had is with S&B ammo. Both 12 gauge buckshot shells and .357 mag cartridges. As a rule, I just shy away from it. Take care. Tom Worthington

I ran a decent amount of it through a Maverick 88 with no issues. I'm sure that gun would run about anything though. I'm not sure why it's 1/4 the price of most Buckshot

I bought that same 250 round deal at Midway exactly one year ago. It was $79.99 and I thought it was a good deal. Shipping was $16.47. What I have shot worked just fine. I think I still have 245 rounds left. :)

Yea, for 500 rounds I think it was $21 and change. That's why I bought 2 cases instead of 1. I hope all ammo keeps going down. Looks like it might

That really is a great deal that you discovered.

I think you will be very happy you bought it cheap and stacked it deep.

It is just one person's experience, and I have not heard anyone have the same problem, but the only FTFs I have had is with S&B ammo. Both 12 gauge buckshot shells and .357 mag cartridges. As a rule, I just shy away from it. Take care. Tom Worthington

I have been steered away from S&B ammunition also. But it will be OK once I shot it and reloaded it myself.

When I buy shotgun ammo one of the things I look at is how many times will I be able to reload the shells.

I have no idea how reloadable the S&B shells are

Shipping to the West Coast is a lot higher than what you guys seem to be paying. It was going to cost me $25 to ship $20 worth of shot from back east.

Anyhow I'm paying $25 in the local store for that $20 worth of lead and save myself $20 on shipping

Well I'm going to quit buying that Buckshot and start making some of my own. I have more of that reclaimed lead than I thought I had, it'll probably turn some of it into Buckshot now.

This is based on my initial success with my new Lee lead casting pot.

I'll post some pictures up in my reloading thread.

By the way I have no clue why my cellphone is capitalizing the word buckshot above and yet not in this post. I didn't change any settings.

Also it refuses to spell the word lead and always spells it led or LED.

Roll crimped vs folded shells usually means on less shell in the magazine for me due to the extra length. My 590 will take 8 folded shells but usually only 7 roll crimped ones. Not sure about other shotgun models. Not a big deal at the range but when at home in the cabinet, I want it loaded with as much ammo as it will accept.

Roll crimped vs folded shells usually means on less shell in the magazine for me due to the extra length. My 590 will take 8 folded shells but usually only 7 roll crimped ones. Not sure about other shotgun models. Not a big deal at the range but when at home in the cabinet, I want it loaded with as much ammo as it will accept.

Yea, I could see that adding up on higher capacity guns. For me however it didn't make a difference. I have a Maverick 88 18.5 which is 5+1. Capacity is the same no matter what. When keeping the gun at home I run higher end stuff because I'll gladly pay $1.50 a round if my life is at stake. I bought some Winchester Military grade in the 5 shot box. I honestly don't know what the best is. For pistol caliber defense rounds I usually run Hornady. I noticed Hornady makes a 12 gauge 00 buckshot. It looks pretty high quality. I'd gladly give it a try if you guys like it. They seem to go above and beyond with QA

I haven't shot but about 150 rounds through my 590. A mixture of S&B, Estate, Fiocchi, and Federal LE. Plus the Aquila mini shells. No duds in the bunch.

The Federal LE with the flight control wad seems like about the best there is for HD. It really keeps a very dense pattern out to 20 yards or so. I like the #1 buckshot in that brand.

Back