• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Lots of questions

The Beautiful wife & I have 930 SPXs, both 12ga, that will be used strictly for tactical purposes, home defense stuff. In order to get better acquainted with our new family members, we will be doing a 4 day Front Sight class so we will be blowing off a few more than 500 rds. She is about 120#s wet and I am an old brittle fart so low recoil will be used for that intense training. However, I assume once back home, when all is relaxed, we will then be using full loads but no bigger than 2 3/4". HOWEVER, if we find the light loads are as effective as full loads for our needs, we may never move back up. Again this is just defensive in normal house distances, We do not do competition & probably will not, but we may someday just to do it and get better, but I am sure at or age, not intensely.

So based on all that and what your Co. offers, what do you recommend for us? All I know is it is a defensive weapon, reliability is #1. Here is what I am thinking/asking.

1. The MST is a must have BUT what is the difference between the original, Light Weight and the Teflon? I.e., what gain or benefit will I get from one vs. the other for my needs?

2. A plunger, too many choices, LOL, which one do you recommend? And I think I really like the ASR option so would that be beneficial for us? I assume we will always train light loads and as I said, we may go up to full loads for defense.

3. Follower, I think there is only 1 offered, is that correct? Had to ask, seems to easy!

4. Is there a combo deal that would include all you recommend? And what is the turn around time once ordered (class is not that far away).

Thanks for the anticipated help.
Vince

The Beautiful wife & I have 930 SPXs, both 12ga, that will be used strictly for tactical purposes, home defense stuff. In order to get better acquainted with our new family members, we will be doing a 4 day Front Sight class so we will be blowing off a few more than 500 rds. She is about 120#s wet and I am an old brittle fart so low recoil will be used for that intense training. However, I assume once back home, when all is relaxed, we will then be using full loads but no bigger than 2 3/4". HOWEVER, if we find the light loads are as effective as full loads for our needs, we may never move back up. Again this is just defensive in normal house distances, We do not do competition & probably will not, but we may someday just to do it and get better, but I am sure at or age, not intensely.

So based on all that and what your Co. offers, what do you recommend for us? All I know is it is a defensive weapon, reliability is #1. Here is what I am thinking/asking.

1. The MST is a must have BUT what is the difference between the original, Light Weight and the Teflon? I.e., what gain or benefit will I get from one vs. the other for my needs?

Our original MST was designed specific to 3-Gun competition, where many ranges and rule sets limited to #7.5 bird shot and 1300 FPS rounds. This part was designed to be lighter for this specific use and allowed lighter rounds that the 930 would never run reliably. It turned out that the weight of the part itself contributed only minimally to the improved performance. The design of the part itself, primarily the friction reduction and moisture evacuation are the real keys. When it came time to address the non-competition guns we brought it back up to OEM weight to buffer the gas system for heavier loads and fully tested with case after case of rounds that included everything from magnum buckshot and slugs to turkey loads. This was the Multi-Use MST, originally offered in a Teflon sealed version in Storm Gray. It is a bit easier to clean than the original part (Competition in Marine Blue) or the newer, less expensive Multi-Use in Pitch Black. The overall weight difference between the Competition and Multi-Use versions is around 3 grams. It isn't much, but we ran the original Competition version as light as we comfortably could to improve lighter load cycling. The Multi-Use has been extensively tested with magnum loads, where the Competition was never intended for them.

2. A plunger, too many choices, LOL, which one do you recommend? And I think I really like the ASR option so would that be beneficial for us? I assume we will always train light loads and as I said, we may go up to full loads for defense.

Short barreled 930s, like the SPX, have shorter dwell time in the gas system. Once the piston begins to foul and some dirt accumulates in the action, the reduced gas in the shorter barreled guns can be marginal for cycling against the weight of the factory recoil system. If the load is a lighter practice load, there isn't always enough gas to overcome the recoil system working against it. The CSP (plunger) should be chosen for the primary type of round being run. The Field and Multi-Use by themselves are around a 5% recoil spring weight reduction. This is usually enough for marginal loads in short barreled guns. If it isn't, the Competition ASR will allow another ~ 5% drop in the lowest setting. It can also be used to crank the Field or Multi-Use back up to factory weight while still capturing the spring end with the plunger. If you are looking to run a bunch of the same round and plan to stick with it, the Competition ASR allows a tune and forget approach. If you plan to practice or train with light loads and run full power for the real deal you may want the quick change ASR. With the Field CSP/ASR your options are 10% reduction and full 100% spring rates.

3. Follower, I think there is only 1 offered, is that correct? Had to ask, seems to easy!

Correct. We have only the one follower. We don't typically include it in non-competition kits as they will usually be going in guns with the factory 4-round tube. Our follower is designed primarily to improve the transition between magazine tube and the extensions used in competition. They also stick out a bit further, which has additional benefits. For one, it is easy to feel the follower with a quick touch of the loading port to determine there is not a round in the tube. It also is visibly much different from most competition shells at quick glance. The follower's slightly longer protrusion also helps keep a port loaded shell from hanging up on the receiver when the bolt is run forward. This is less of a problem with the 930 than the 590 (which our follower is also compatible with) or Benelli and Stoeger competition guns.

4. Is there a combo deal that would include all you recommend? And what is the turn around time once ordered (class is not that far away).

For a class scenario with low-recoil buckshot/slugs and eventual set and forget with full power, the Security Combo is a great starting place. Most with an SPX go with this and may add the follower at the same time. For surviving a 4-day shotgun class, there would be some other considerations. The Choate magazine extension that comes with the 930 SPX can be problematic. If it is like a typical combat shotgun class, there will be some ground starts, malfunction drills and basic abuse of both you and the gun. If you can get your hands on a Nordic extension tube and/or magazine clamp you may save your magazine tube from getting damaged by aggressive dumps. If it feeds fine from the tube as is, keep the Choate for the class. If not, get that Nordic on there ASAP. You may also want to look at our CFR (Competition Forearm Retainer) as these replace the plastic part that doesn't always survive abuse. It also keeps the pusher assembly from potential contact with your forearm, which will slow your gas system as cause malfunctions.

Thanks for the anticipated help.
Vince

Answers woven into your post above, so make sure to click 'expand' on your quoted text.

Now, you will probably want to break down and clean the gas system after each day. Pay particular attention to the gas rings and remove/replace from the piston when cleaning. Run your gas system completely dry and the bolt/slide fairly wet if there won't be a ton of blowing dust or ground/grappling starts.

As for our turn around, any part listed in stock will typically ship within 2-business days. Most $150+ orders are upgraded automatically from USPS First Class to USPS Priority Mail as well.

Hope that helps!

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Thanks William,
It should greatly help. I have the lifters being welded by Rums now (it had already bit me, LOL).
Based on what you said I am looking to order the following for each of us:
1. a Security combo,
2. a follower,
3. a CFR BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH ONE, so can you advise on that too? We have the straight stock, no pistol grip, synthetic. I think I would rather do a drop in type unless there is great benefit to another type, then I can try to fit them. But if not a huge benefit, which drop in type?
So is that pretty much what you are suggesting?
FYI, already have the barrel/mag clamp on it from Mesa Tactical with the sling & rail attachments as well as Brown coat Velcro shell holders.

I have no idea why you want me to put chocolate on the SG though but the wife sure locves that idea especially if we go with the dark kind. Actually I have no idea what that thing is that you are talking about so off to research that I go.
Thanks

Ummm...wait a minute...you're going to dip the synthetic stock in dark chocolate? What the hell?

I have no clue what's going on here either!

My SG has the synthetic stock and I hate it. I like wood furniture but I have a flashlight built into the forearm.

I see some custom built wood furniture in my future....

The forearm retainer (and CFR choice) comes down to your future plans for the gun. It is unlikely that for a non-competition application you will 'need' anything beyond the Field CFR, but you may 'want' the Quad Ready CFR to future-proof your decision. We'll go through the options to help make the decision a thoroughly evaluated one.

All of our CFRs will bring the forearm closer to the receiver and are alloy, rather than plastic. This eliminates forearm sag, which makes loading a bit easier and keeps the forearm from potentially dragging on the pusher assembly and slowing the gas system. So, we obviously recommend replacing the stock piece with ONE of the CFR versions and now have to determine which one.

The Field Fit CFR is designed for a synthetic forearm that will be left stock. It accomplishes the goals above, while remaining visually as close to the OEM part as possible.

The Quad Ready CFR is designed for a synthetic forearm that will be modified for easier loading. It accomplishes the same goals as above and is the exact same part as above with the addition of a ramp from receiver to final height for clearance to the pusher assembly. In truth, we would have only the Quad Ready CFR in the product line if it weren't for one small problem. The Quad Ready on a stock synthetic forearm will actually LOOK like it has more gap than the factory part, even though it has less. The ramp creates an optical illusion that doesn't look right on a forearm that isn't modified.

If we are loading one or two rounds at a time for hunting you may never notice the factory overhang as being a problem. If this is all you will do with the gun, pick up the Field Fit CFR and you're set.

If you will be loading from traditional caddies, using what is called 'weak hand' loading, you will have 3 or 4 rounds in your hand at a time, while you feed 1 at a time into the magazine tube, while leaving your thumb in contact with the lifter, squeezing a new round out each time with your thumb until all rounds are loaded. This is when you start to notice that the forearm is in the way of your knuckle and the lip on the loading port is in the way of clicking the shell past the shell stop. This is the first modification most make to the loading port and add a Field Fit CFR to snug the forearm closer.

ECF-Show-Clear-Angle.jpg

This is all most will need to do for the traditional weak hand technique with caddies. This is the level most people will stop at for an SPX being used in a tactical shotgun class, etc.

If you start loading stacked twins (as a common competition loading technique), the need to quickly sweep your hand past the loading port makes that forearm overhand REALLY annoying. This is when the serious modification of both the loading port and forearm begins and the Quad Ready Forearm Retainer becomes necessary to accomplish the task.

Release-PitchBlack-Installed.jpg

When you get into full on Quad Loading mode, the forearm itself needs thinned out and as much ramping as possible is necessary to keep from hanging shells up.

CNC-Installed.jpg

The above cuts to the synthetic forearm itself are services we offer now in our shop. They are both done on a 3-axis CNC machine dedicated to the service.

All levels of loading port and forearm modification CAN be done with the Quad Ready CFR, but the Field Fit is limited to a stock forearm. If you can accept that the visual gap on a Quad Ready CFR is in fact an optical illusion, that would be the one to get as it leaves your options open for the future of forearm modification.

In both cases, the Field Fit and Quad Ready will both be drop-in with a factory synthetic forearm. One will just 'appear' to fit an unmodified forearm better.

As for chocolate, autocorrect may have made a mess of my post somewhere. Choate on the other hand is the manufacturer of the extension tube on a factory SPX. Choate extensions are known to be the root of many 'feed from/to the tube' issues. The addition of sling mounts between forearm and magazine extension will make these issues worse as the gap a follower has to jump is longer. Nordic extension tubes have a separate nut that allows the nut to tighten the forearm to the gun, while the extension tube itself can be threaded further into the nut and better closes the gap that transitions from tube to extension.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Thanks again William. Can you recommend any good YouTube or OR3GUN or other videos that explain this visual cuz it sounds 1/2 Chinese, but I think I understand some of it. Got to admit, its like when I 1st learned about a firearm again, something I haven't had to do with any of my rifles, handguns and reloading stuff for decades. Pretty exciting, feel like a young-un again, LOL.

Back