• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

535 barrel options

primusgod

.22LR
Hey I am the proud if not accidental owner of a new 535. ( the guy at walmart boxed me up a 535 instead of a 500) can't say I'm upset however I've noticed the barrel options seem limited! I want to get a 20" barrel with chokes for my weapon but can't find any online. Any suggestions on what to do? Will the best solution be to have a smith chop and reconfigure the 28" barrel? Any info is appreciated thanks!

Buy yourself a magazine tube for a 500A. This will allow you to use any 500A barrel on your 535. Note you will not be able to use 3.5" shells while in this configuation, but it will still open up a lot of options.

Mossberg makes Turkey versions of this gun with choked 20" and 22" barrels. You would probably need to install a more open choke to shoot slugs or steel shot. All the Turkey models are camo. You would have to contact Mossberg to find out availability of the barrel alone and perhaps in black only. I would keep the 28" as-is because it will save you from having to get one later should you choose to go skeeting or fowling. I get $60 to cut a barrel and re-install the bead sight (no, I'm not soliciting for business), and others have mentioned the going rate to thread for choke is about $100, not inc. chokes. You can probably find a new/used camo. barrel for that money and just paint it black. Be aware that some barrels are overbored before the choke and can not be re-choked as there is not enough metal.

If WM messed-up, which serial number was recorded? I would hope the serial numbers are correct because if the 500 you bought is found at a crime scene, police will be at your door asking questions...

Mossberg makes Turkey versions of this gun with choked 20" and 22" barrels. You would probably need to install a more open choke to shoot slugs or steel shot. All the Turkey models are camo. You would have to contact Mossberg to find out availability of the barrel alone and perhaps in black only. I would keep the 28" as-is because it will save you from having to get one later should you choose to go skeeting or fowling. I get $60 to cut a barrel and re-install the bead sight (no, I'm not soliciting for business), and others have mentioned the going rate to thread for choke is about $100, not inc. chokes. You can probably find a new/used camo. barrel for that money and just paint it black. Be aware that some barrels are overbored before the choke and can not be re-choked as there is not enough metal.

If WM messed-up, which serial number was recorded? I would hope the serial numbers are correct because if the 500 you bought is found at a crime scene, police will be at your door asking questions...
It was he ran the numbers off the tag being newish to shotguns from a distance I didn't notice the difference xD
This being said I like the idea of the turkey barrel with an IC choke maybe? It will be used for slugs often. Could I sand the camo off and refinish matte black? Thanks for the info guys!

Could I sand the camo off and refinish matte black?

I would not remove any factory finish unless you were going to bright blue it or bake on some cerokote. And even then I would let whoever is refinishing it do the camo removal.

If you get a new/used barrel with camo, I would just rattle can it flat black for now. The camo coating also protects the barrel from rusting. I think the camo is a hydro-dip and there may be an easier way of removing it than sanding--perhaps chemically. But then there may be bare metal exposed that will oxidize if not coated properly or promptly.

PS: A quick search on Gunbroker.com found THIS used 22" turkey barrel for $112 delivered (modified choke) or THIS used 22" turkey barrel for $95 delivered (no choke). Create yourself an acct. if you don't have one.

Back