• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Five pound Dry Aged Ribeye Roast into two Forty Ounce 2" Steaks <pics>

@CaddmannQ , you could call em up and see where they sell it around you. 818 is los angeles area...

I don't get to eat too many steaks anymore since I had my teeth pulled, but I was never really fond of smothering my meat with any kind of sauce which takes away from the natural taste of it. My Dad always liked A1 steak sauce, but I liked mine straight.

If you get a chance to try some Sweet Baby Rays brand Sweet Vidalia Onion bbq sauce, it's really good.

My wife makes a marinade with the sweet Vidalia but cuts it with some brown sugar and some kraft honey bbq sauce, some olive oil and a half an onion chopped up in it. Makes some of the best slow cooked pulled chicken that's been slow simmered in a crock pot all day that you ever had.

Or if you use pork chops instead of chicken, put the pork chops in the pressure cooker for an hour and then simmer in a crock pot with the marinade for another hour or two. It's so tender it falls apart with a fork.

It's hard to sit still and eat it.

Today I'm barbecuing in the rain & still have not bought a smoker. it's one of those things I decided to put off "until retirement".

Until I get one this is what I'm working with.

20170219_164547.jpg
This is the Costco version of a Coleman propane barbecue. I got it on sale for $400 about 12 years ago, and with the cast iron burners it's really held up well. The only thing that rusted were the ball bearings in the little casters. I eventually burned up the grills, which were only thin stainless steel tubing over carbon steel rods. The new ones are real stainless, and holding up fine.

Tonight I'm doing this half rack of ribs which is seasoned with the Saint Louis dry rub, and it's been aging for about 3 weeks.
20170219_164610.jpg

I seared it and now it's roasting over smoking Mesquite chips and a pan of water with citrus-based malt liquor. I don't know why. I guess I really didn't want to drink the stuff, but I didn't want to throw it out either. LOL.

I had one of those! I think i got it at OSH on sale...

I wouldn't mind if it went on sale.

Also I'm still considering building one. Until my Social Security kicks in, I will have more time than money.

OK, that's a lie.

I just spend it too fast. ;(

HP sauce?? I would recommend Henry Bain's sauce, originated here in Louisville, KY. Easy to make, recipes online, or can be purchased online. PFG.

This entire thread has made me hungry.

Please forward all of your addresses to me. I see a road trip coming up. I'll buy the beef, and admire your cooking skills.

Well, sometimes all of my thoughts don't arrive at the same time. Hence the time difference. But cooking on grills is one of my favorite pastimes. Everyone does it a bit different but all delicious.

I have really never had a lot of time for barbecuing until lately, and so I'm just starting to get serious about it.

For years I just been using a propane BBQ because I didn't have time to deal with charcoal, but now the idea of a smoker is looking like fun.

By the way I finally bought some HP Sauce but I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:
I had a water smoker (Brinkman ?) but never could master brisket. Charcoal is the way to go, I had a natural gas Ducane once. Never had to buy propane.

My best times cooking on a grill is when we have a house full of people, cooking everything from dogs to steaks to chicken and brats. Two grills going, cooler full of beer and everyone wanting to "help". Lol! :)

That WSM is the KING of smokers. I have one and wish I had bought it years earlier. Kingsford and some lump hardwood (I use either hickory or pean or oak, but occasionally buy a bag of apple) and once you get it to the target temp it stays rock steady without touching a thing to set the temp for twelve hours. An amazing smoker. Clearly one of the finest!

The thing that I like least about every other smoker I looked at (aside from the cost) was the fact that the Firebox was offset, which means a lot of heat just gets lost.

You have to make more fire than you need in order to keep the temperature correct. Nothing is insulated it all. The only thermal mass you have is whatever thickness of steel it's made from. Grill area is mostly bigger than I need.

But the Smokey Mountain had none of those flaws except the lack of thermal mass.

Shipping costs haunt the price of a lot of these, unless they are light, something modest but with real mass will cost you $1,000 and up & lots of that is the shipping cost.

Being lightweight probably doesn't hurt the Smoky Mountain as much as some of the others because its design promotes thermal efficiency in several ways many others do not.

I really would like to build my own smoker, but I don't need another project right now. Then again, that doesn't always stop me.

Well I bit the bullet tonight and brought the Weber Smokey Mountain 18 inch smoker. This thing is plenty big for me and the quality of construction is pretty darn good.

If I could criticize one thing about it so far it would be the fact that the handles for the door and lid are plastic instead of wood, but that's not the sort of thing that couldn't be fixed in very short order.

My old Weber kettle had a plastic handle on the lid as well, and after about 10 years it magically turned into a bent coat hanger.

Anyhow, right now I'm doing my first seasoning of the smoker with Weber briquettes and some lump Hickory.

I'll let it burn down over the night and then tomorrow I'll light it up again once it's cold. I have a nice Santa Maria dry rub Tri-tip all ready to go.

I suppose it's not essential that I season the smoker before cooking in it. Weber does a good job and everything is extremely clean right from the factory.

But old habits die hard and for some reason I always season such things.

Late night, low light smoker shot.
20170407_212654.jpg

Last edited:
Dude.

You got a Cadillac in the home smoker world.

Oh, the plastic handle on the door? Won't matter much. A chimney of unlit Kingsford, a chimney of lit Kingsford and carefully placed lump hardwood (research the Minion Method) and your temp needle will hold perfectly steady for over twelve hours without adding any extra anything or even opening the lid. That too is kind of unnecessary IMHO.

A seasoning with some fatty meat to start a lining inside is OKAY to do. The Weber Virtual Bullet web site is full of great info.

You are really going to enjoy this new adventure my friend!

Back