• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Flite Control at close ranges (>10 yards)

I'm relatively new to shotguns for home defense and I bought some Federal LE132-1B because I read on a bunch of different sites that it is the optimal home defense 12 gauge load. I've been reading more on how the Flite Control wad works and it sounds like the shot doesn't separate from the wad until 10 yards from the muzzle.

What happens if I have to shoot a home invader at less than 10 yards with the FC load? I understand that with a regular wad I will still get just one hole at very short range, but that the pellets take multiple tracts through the tissue. But if the pellets are still inside the wad when they strike the target, will the projectile act more like a slug or will the pellets still disperse in multiple channels throughout the tissue?

Edit: Oops, I meant < not > :p

We've done a lot of shooting with all sorts of ammo. I keep FliteControl loads exclusively for one firearm.

While I can't say what each pellet does at close range, what I do know is that all but very few loads stay together at 10 yards and less while I've found a FliteControl wad imbedded in drywall with one pellet still inside and patterned very nicely with the other 8 pellets at 25 yards. With the low recoil FliteControl I e had patterns at 40 yards like you would expect from other loads at less than 20 yards.

Ideally each pellet is creating a separate wound and as individual pellets they aren't retaining the kind of energy a slug does. I don't know enough about ballistics to be able say what happens when they're all still in the shot cup though.

I shot 5 rounds of LE132-1B which is 15 pellet #1 buckshot at 7 yards and it was like shooting slugs.

e89ce94ad55765821b4d0fd34a0c34f8.jpg

Here's some testing I did with LE132-1B 2 or 3 years ago.

index.php

Last edited:
Back