• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Help me choose.

M44 or type 56 sks

• Total voters

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
I was in lgs saturday and ran across two rifles that i actually would like. I be going back in couples days and tossed up as to which i really want. Ive had variants of both on tje past and liked them. Let me know which youd choose and why. Of course both would be best answer but im not doing that this month other fish to fry.
Nice SKS carbine type 56 or a M44 moison nagant both were in basically same what id call good condition.

I would get the SKS myself.

I owned a Yugo SKS for years that I found in unissued condition with all 12 matching s/n and it was in PERFECT shape. Threaded of course, not pressed.

I sold it only because ammo price was skyrocketing and it was as heavy as my M1A.

But I always liked the SKS design. It is very well thought out.

The Mosin, while a good rifle, is to me just another bolt gun.

Have to agree with nitesite. Every Mosin (3) I owned threw rounds way high and wide @100 yds. Can't beat the history of the Mosin though. Had a 1939 Tula I recently sold. Type 56 is worth 2 Mosins in my book. It's not an AKM, but it's generally more accurate than AKMs I've owned. My 1952 Tula SKS is much tighter than my SAR 1 with the same ammo @100 yards.

SKS... When I had my FFL back in the 90s, I bought a Chinese Norinco "surplus" for $60. Took me a couple hours to get intimate and remove all the cosmoline from EVERY little nook and cranny--it was packed! It was a very good way to get familiar with the mechanicals of the gun. The captive spike bayonet was cool. Gun was in perfect condition, not a scratch on it. I shot maybe 100rds out of it--ammo was on the pricey side for this struggling college student (at the time). I ended up selling it a couple years later for $200. I very much regret not keeping it. :( I very seldom see them around here for less than $300 and that is in fair condition. My only hope is that Trumpy relaxes "non-sporting arms" importation restrictions.

Back