• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pillar bedding a patriot

Gunnut40

.22LR
I recently got a patriot 308 for my new deer rifle since Indiana made high power rifle legal to deer hunt been having trouble finding a load that it likes I hand load can't seem to get it to shoot less than about 3 inches at 100 yards it's even worse with factory loads my question is has anyone pillar bedded a patriot if so would love to hear how you did it

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I have not but I have seen a lot of videos on YouTube showing the process on various models.

Starting the pillar bedding job today took the stock to work and put it on the mill to drill out the stock and made the pillars on the lathe.

Pillar bedding job is done. The job was more difficult than I had thought. Not only did I pillar bedding it but I bedded the front part of the action with good results. My groups were cut in half from 2 plus to just over an in inch. I think now with some hand loads I can get the groups under an inch.

It was hard to figure out how to work with magazine guide the action screws go through it.

Attachments

• Effect_20170422_213246.jpg
    Effect_20170422_213246.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Effect_20170422_213359.jpg
    Effect_20170422_213359.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 27
It was hard to figure out how to work with magazine guide the action screws go through it.

I know this is an old thread, but in case you're still around, a question.... What diameter is your rear pillar, and what diameter hole did you drill? I ask, because I don't see a lot of meat around the screw hole. I'm getting ready to pillar bed mine, and your pictures helped me quite a bit to visualize the steps needed.

I had sent a message to Gunnut40 a week or so ago but no reply ... I did some more searching on the internet snd found this ....
https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/756577-mossberg-patriot-project/ .... it shows a lot of pictures ... his pillars are 1/2" SS ... hope this helps .. I decided to get a Boyds stock and install pillars and bedding .. I also decided to have the magwell made part of the stock ... Mossberg really messed up with this stock and the use of polymers .. but the Patriot is a budget gun and they are producing it to a certain price point ... Good Luck on you pillar job.

I appreciate your reply, and pointer to the other thread/forum. I'm going to go ahead and dive into this project, as the NIB Mossberg Patriot I bought doesn't shoot for sh!t. I sure hope pillar bedding helps some, or else I'm stuck with a real pig of a gun.

Back