• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ATTN: Cartridge Stopper QC Issue for Pump Actions (FTF)

Will do. It may be some time before I get the chance to do it though. The gun range I go to only lets you fire 00 buck.
The gun works fine with my 00 buck shells, it's just the #7 bird shot that keeps jamming. Picked up 250 rounds awhile back at Walmart.
Anyway, I usually go up in the mountains to shot. Right now all the forest service roads are crap.
I really hope these new parts work. If not I'm seriously temped to sell it. Too bad.
I'll let you all know though one way or another.

Was it the cheap Winchester Universal target loads that gave you problems?

If so, it's the ammo not the gun. The vast majority of folks around here have issues with that ammo...

I'm a newbie here and I'm so glad I read this post. I've has the same issue with my 590a (which I adore) and was told the they need a long break in period which is what I've done with lots of rounds and various types.
Next stop, email to Mossberg.
Thank you all so much for your very helpful comments.

If it's the stops that're causing your probs, strip the gun and clean the slots BEHIND the stops. 95% of all cartridge stop probs is crud in the slots behind. If the stops are wearing at that hook end, that hook is NOT the prob in most cases. The stops are moving parts. If the hooks are wearing, SOMETHING is blocking the stops from moving as they should. Again, clean the slots. Not saying those parts can't be bad in any given case. Just saying that 95% of the probs I've ever seen that folks think the stops are bent or deformed isn't the fault of the parts, it's simply crud. If your gun has worked for hundreds of rounds and all the sudden starts misfeeding, there's next to no chance that the hooks somehow got bent. ALWAYS strip your gun and clean it before you start "adjusting" anything. If it still fails, strip it and clean it again to get all the crud you missed the first time.

Last edited:
If it's the stops that're causing your probs, strip the gun and clean the slots BEHIND the stops. 95% of all cartridge stop probs is crud in the slots behind. If the stops are wearing at that hook end, that hook is NOT the prob in most cases. The stops are moving parts. If the hooks are wearing, SOMETHING is blocking the stops from moving as they should. Again, clean the slots. Not saying those parts can't be bad in any given case. Just saying that 95% of the probs I've ever seen that folks think the stops are bent or deformed isn't the fault of the parts, it's simply crud. If your gun has worked for hundreds of rounds and all the sudden starts misfeeding, there's next to no chance that the hooks somehow got bent. ALWAYS strip your gun and clean it before you start "adjusting" anything. If it still fails, strip it and clean it again to get all the crud you missed the first time.

I'm not in agreement with this assessment. I've cleaned my 590A1 thoroughly including inside the receiver and all the nooks and crannies. Its an out of spec cartridge stop. Not to mention when I do clean my 590A1 - (usually 300-500 rounds) it's not significantly dirty inside because it doesnt rely on a gas system for cycling. My 930 was a carbon factory after 300 rounds.

If you read my initial post this occurred around the 400 round mark. Extremely early in the life span of the firearm and well after I cleaned the packing grease out of her as well.

I was informed that this post of mine sounded a bit know it all and a bit patronizing. Upon re-reading it, I agree. So I'm editing out what I had written that really doesn't forward the conversation. Apologies, fellows.

Glad you got your gun working! Congrats on that. It'll last you a lifetime!

Last edited:
On that side note, a Mossy 500 is like all other pump guns. The shells go through the insides of the gun upon loading and upon ejecting. Those shell stop slots are right there where any shell pumped from the mag tube can pop crap right into them and cause a jam between ANY two shells. It's not a question of how dirty your gun is or how often you clean it. I didn't say that. Those fired shells with all that soot/unburnt powder, lead residue etc are then banging around right between those same slots. One spec of dirt, one grain of sand, one piece of plastic hull lip, one sliver off a shaved rim etc can jam those.

On that side note, a Mossy 500 is like all other pump guns. The shells go through the insides of the gun upon loading and upon ejecting. Those shell stop slots are right there where any shell pumped from the mag tube can pop crap right into them and cause a jam between ANY two shells. It's not a question of how dirty your gun is or how often you clean it. I didn't say that. Those fired shells with all that soot/unburnt powder, lead residue etc are then banging around right between those same slots. One spec of dirt, one grain of sand, one piece of plastic hull lip, one sliver off a shaved rim etc can jam those.

What you are describing sounds like an inherent design flaw. If one grain of sand can brick a 500/590 shotgun based on the design component there wouldn't be any possibility of that shotgun being relied upon by our armed forces in the Middle East or actually passing military testing prior being issued to our military.

Mossberg's QC has taken a significant hit over the past few years. Many barrels are leaving the factory after QC with canted front sights. And the issue with the cartridge stopper is an issue that seems to be more and more prevalent. Not just on this forum, other firearm forums I'm apart of.

I bought a new 590 last year. I only had 20 rounds thru it and it started failing to feed. After some Googling, I determined the cartridge stop was bent. I disassembled the reciever and bent it myself, good as new now. (even tho it was new :)) This is my 3rd Mossberg. Had a Mav88 6 shot first, sold that years later and bought a 500 parked 8 shot. Later sold that and bought this 18.5" 590. This 590 is the least smooth of them all. After racking the slide (on an empty chamber) I actually detect a faint burning smell.. Anyone else ever notice anything like this? I want to say it's the black finish they put on the internals wearing, the Mavs internals were unfinished silver.

The only problems I've had with my 500 in about 200 shells was when I put 16 gauge shells in a 12 gauge gun.

Still I will look at the alignment of these parts the next time I clean it.

I purchased a 590A1 here in Canada and had it begin to FTF due to the C stop and action slide binding soon after I purchased it, after having it sent into the warranty shop here in Canada the problem appeared fixed until I began to run more shells through it at the range and the same FTF problem reappeared. I sent it in a second time and hoped that it was fixed for good this time, I was sorely disappointed. I've spent more than I would like to admit shipping it across Canada and was wondering if anyone had any advice for a permanent remedy, it's been quite the ordeal so far.

I purchased a 590A1 here in Canada and had it begin to FTF due to the C stop and action slide binding soon after I purchased it, after having it sent into the warranty shop here in Canada the problem appeared fixed until I began to run more shells through it at the range and the same FTF problem reappeared. I sent it in a second time and hoped that it was fixed for good this time, I was sorely disappointed. I've spent more than I would like to admit shipping it across Canada and was wondering if anyone had any advice for a permanent remedy, it's been quite the ordeal so far.
It's a 10 minute fix yourself.

New, out of the box 590 A1 Mariner locked up after first shot.
Chnaged ammo, disassembled and cleaned it. Ran ok, not great, until a Federal 3 inch locked it up again. Appears to be a burr in the barrel thread protruding into the extractor groove. Awaiting it's fate at the Eagle Pass detention center.

This is what Mossberg claims is the mil-spec, 3000 round torture tested passing with flying colors shotgun?

"Shotty" qc.

Purchased a Mossberg 500 Scorpion here in Germany. It's from 2017 and had only few rounds through it. It also had the feeding problem and thanks to this thread I was able to bend and file the cstop until it now works as intended.
Things related to weapons are a little more complicated here than in the U.S. so glad I found this forum to be able to help myself in future

Brand new out of the box 590 failed to consistently feed anything I put through it; snap caps, dummy rounds, live shells of different brands and types. Sometimes it would feed, other times not. Shell stop appeared to hang up and not drop into the groove so it could not get out of the way of the shell from the magazine. After a few emails with Mossberg they sent out new shell stop and interrupter. I installed them and so far it feeds most of the time, except not at all with snap caps. Haven't had it to the range for live fire yet. We'll see how it does. In one of my emails to Mossberg I noted that my Chinese-built Stevens 320, bought new a year ago, functions flawlessly with anything I run through it. Maybe Mossberg should build their guns in China (I hate saying that).

Purchased a Mossberg 500 Scorpion here in Germany. It's from 2017 and had only few rounds through it. It also had the feeding problem and thanks to this thread I was able to bend and file the cstop until it now works as intended.
Things related to weapons are a little more complicated here than in the U.S. so glad I found this forum to be able to help myself in future

My Mossberg never failed me until I stuck a 16ga in the tube by mistake. Even then, it did load, lock and fire. It just wouldn't eject the shattered hull.
:punish:
But there were a few rough edges needing the stamping burrs removed. The leading edge of the lifter was rather rough from the factory.

I have been told that Germany prohibits owners from fixing the trigger, action, or lock work on firearms. Is this true? Does the govt expect you to have every such mod or repair to be done by a licensed person?

California is starting to do this, leading me to maybe get a license . . .

Yes this is true. It's not allowed to perform modifications on these kind of relevant parts under gun law. This has to be done by a gunsmith.
I assume bending on the cartridge stop doesn't count (-;
German gun law is complicated and very strict but at least it's not impossible to get an AR or pump action shotgun if you meet all requirements, pass background checks and pay lots of money for all the permits.

Yes this is true. It's not allowed to perform modifications on these kind of relevant parts under gun law. This has to be done by a gunsmith.
I assume bending on the cartridge stop doesn't count (-;
German gun law is complicated and very strict but at least it's not impossible to get an AR or pump action shotgun if you meet all requirements, pass background checks and pay lots of money for all the permits.

Taking something out for a routine cleaning and then leaning on a piece before putting it back in doesn’t sound like a smith work. I don’t need a license to change parts on a car either.

Again, taking that stuff out for cleaning etc is not a problem. It's not allowed to perform modifications. Like shortening the barrel, drilling holes (for whatever reason). the Also not changing the barrel or other relevant parts with the serial number on.
Grip modules for the Sig P320 for example are also available without problem as the serial number is on the trigger group module in this case.
So it's all not too bad.

Back