• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SW m&p Bodyguard

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Couple weeks back my lgs guy waved this little pistol under my nose at a pretty fair price 250.00 out the door. I said what the heck i like pocket carry pistols. To me this thing looks really good, it came with two mags and its a Smith. Observations after several hundred rounds. It functioned great no hickups using both range ammo and some self defense jhp. Quite accurate for such a small piece. Sights lil hard to see in lo light. BUT my opinion not for new shooter for one reason the trigger is an abomination not long Very long not heavy Very heavy. Had i done my due diligance and research i would have known ahead of time. I have no problems doing some home smithing but research shows there just not much help for these. I shoot 2x a week and have a pretty good skill set this gun was hard to shoot well and not remotely enjoyable due to trigger being so bad. My girlfriend fired one mag and politely declined to use it anymore. I certainly wasnt expecting 1911 trigger from a 250 dollar pocket but didn't expect trigger worse than a nagant revolver. This is a shame i really wanted to like this gun. If your looking for pocket 380 id say try some others i cant recommend it. Kinda made me sad i think they could have a great gun here if with all the SW experience they made a usable trigger. Id also say while your at it 20170328_190259.jpg 20170328_190344.jpg look at the pocket 9mms out there bigger hole cheaper ammo. JMHO

Last edited:
My wife had looked at one of these because of the size. She tried it and said she liked it. I tried it and the trigger got to me too. I asked if she'd wait to make a decision until she tried some others. We were able to check out some others and she narrowed it down to a Sig .380, the Colt mustang, and a Kimber micro. After trying out those three she realized she didn't like the trigger of the S&W either. She ruled out the Sig because she didn't like the look or the feel really. So it was between the Colt and Kimber and decided she would get the Kimber because she prefered the 3 dot sights over the fixed solid black sights on the mustang.

I bought an M&P 380 non-safety version when they came out to "upgrade" from my Taurus TCP. Besides, I really love the full size and compact M&Ps I already have. However, the M&P 380 hasn't been the upgrade I hoped for. While the Smith's build quality and fit and finish are much better than the Taurus, I've unfortunately had issues with it. The primary problem has been light primer strikes with any ammo not having soft primers. I've also had some feeding issues with this pistol. It is probably going to go to the mother ship soon, but my confidence in the pistol has been damaged even if S&W can resolve the issues. All this while the "inexpensive" little Taurus just rattles (because of it's loose fit) on most of the time. The TPC is arranged so I have to be careful not to accidentally bump the mag release while firing it, but its trigger is a dream in comparison to the BG. It always goes bang when chambered and while I can't say it has been 100% reliable, it's been pretty close. OBTW... I do have a "pocket 9mm" I love, but there are times it's just too big (mostly too heavy). So I do like the size, weight and manual of arms the TCP and BG have to offer.

SW will probably get ya fixed up. Never used it but id guess theyre CS is good. I never had a TCP but have heard good results about them. I actually have an old keltec p3at i believe it was one of the first lil poly 380s its been a good one for a long time. I think they were hit and miss on functionality mines been fine.i still carry sometimes in summer with light shorts its unoticeable.

I just bought one of these myself, the BG 380.

I really only bought it because these things are impossible to get here anymore and I got it at $200 so is quite a deal. It's in perfect shape and I could sell it easily for more money with no questions, any day of the week, because you just can't buy them in stores anymore. The only ones available here are going to be used ones that come on the market.

That being said I also bought a new Kahr .380 auto at the same time, and paid twice as much for it.

I've never shot this caliber before but my wife was asking me for something in between the 22 pistol she likes and the bigger ones.

Anyhow there's waiting period in California which means that I won't own these guns until next Thursday,

But I'm supposed to go out with the seller tomorrow and shoot them both at the local target range. We'll see how the Mrs feels about the 380 auto.

My wife and I ran 25 rounds through each gun Monday, and the Smith & Wesson was flawless, but the Kahr not so much.

The magazine was difficult to insert and remove because there were minor defects inside the plastic handle. I think these were caused by shrinkage in the mold.

Also had a couple failure to feed issues and a stove pipe and I related this to fairly rough feed ramp. This gun is going to need a little throat work and also I need to clean up inside the handle until the magazines feed properly.

I really couldn't hit much at 9 yards with either gun although it improved a little bit when I brought the target into 7 yards.

Not surprised the mp function was good. The one i had ran great just hated trigger. The kahr is interesting though ive never owned one but have heard alot of good reviews. Maybe when it gets delivered you can really pump some rounds through it to see if it just needs good break in and what ammo it may prefer. Or will surgery be required. I dont mind doing work on my guns but being brand new id sure consider a trip back to factory if after a couple hundred rounds not satisfied.

Last edited:
Well the M&P that had some rounds through it but the Kahr was brand new.

I'm supposed to pick up the two pistols today, but the shootin club is closed on Thursdays, plus I'm going to be tied up working on my old boat.

Good fishing weather here right now.
Boat= Not so good.

The system says it was 4:30 when I posted that but the cat woke me up at 3:30 and I didn't get back to sleep.

Now it's quarter after 9 and I'm ready for lunch!

Also the wind came up, clouds rolled in, and fishing weather went to hell.

Back