• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone else using the 88 for skeet?

ReGaL

I bought a Maverick 88 with a long barrell primarily as a home defense gun, but have become a big fan of skeet shooting. I put in a skeet choke and the gun does what it's supposed to. I just have to keep working to improve my end of the deal :lol:

Anyone else using their 88 for skeet or trap shooting.

I'm guessing you have the #31010? The "security" models don't have a replaceable choke. Skeet shooting looks like fun. I've never tried it. One day, I just might. Take care. Tom Worthington.

I haven't had the chance to shoot skeet with it yet. Most of my shooting thus far has been cardboard boxes and coke cans.. lol.. But I definitely plan to when the weather warms up.. I do love me some skeet shooting..

I take it the standard accu-choke isn't good for skeet shooting?
Also, anyone got a link for the skeet choke? I'd definitely be interested in looking at it..

No but I use my 500 on occasion and I have shot an 870 for many many years. You can get pretty quick with a pump gun with a little practice. :D :D

I use the 88 (28") for Trap Shooting with an IM choke.
mlGXn.jpg

Tom, I'm not sure of the exact model number I got. I had the option of the home defense barrel (18.5) or what they said was the field gun with a 26" barrel. Even though I was primarily getting it for h.d. I decided I wanted to go with the longer barrel...which now that I'm attempting skeet made for a good choice.

Insane, the Accu-Choke that the gun came with, is what I used the first few times I went. One of the "old timers" at the range explained to me how going to a skeet choke would cause the shot pellets to spread out more coming out of the barrel, thus giving you a better chance of hitting the clays. He also suggested I go to a 9 shot shell instead of the 7 1/2 I'd been using. Both suggestions helped.

I really enjoy it. Shooting at stations 1,2,6,7 I can usually get 80% of the clays, but I've got a LOT of work to do shooting from the middle of the arc at stations 3,4,5,8.

I do a lot of pistol target shooting now too, but shooting the flying clays are a lot more fun and a lost more of a challenge. Next I plan to try my hand at trap shooting.

I shoot 500's for Skeet.
I shoot 3 gauges 12, 20 and .410 all with 500's
Love them pump guns!

Started with a 12ga 28" 88 on trap couple of weeks ago. bought it on sale at Dicks for 189 since not much more than a barrel and don't want to be switching barrels with the 18 1/2' that is collecting dust under the bed. Hitting 10 to 13 a round and still very much a novice.

Started with a 12ga 28" 88 on trap couple of weeks ago. bought it on sale at Dicks for 189 since not much more than a barrel and don't want to be switching barrels with the 18 1/2' that is collecting dust under the bed. Hitting 10 to 13 a round and still very much a novice.
I started shooting Trap with my 500. Got addicted to the game. Been through a couple different guns since then.
An 88 or a 500 are great platforms to start shooting Trap with.
Neither are the gun for serious competition though.

Been using my 500 for trap since last September. Great fun, especially because you are almost guaranteed to be the only person there with a pump.
Here in Ireland, "Sporting" is a very popular clay bird discipline. Targets can be crossing left to right, right to left, going away, coming at you, , pairs,etc, etc
Scoring about 25 out of forty, ATM, but that's not the guns fault!
Great fun, I have just bought a secondhand Beretta 391 Urika for the clays.

Back