• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got me another 500

12gafun

.270 WIN
I just picked up a Mossberg 500 American Field 12 gauge for trap shooting. I do like the wood furniture on it but I am going to change it out or keep it like it is.
I haven't shot it yet, stupid rain. I am just wondering if anyone can give me some feed back on the American field 12 ga, this is the first shotgun that I have owned with a twin bead sighting system, so not really sure how that works.

It is a nice looking shotgun, I sure hope it performs better than my Tristar Cobra 12 that I got. I did finally take down the bolt in that Cobra completely & did find a glob of greasy residue inside the firing pin chamber. I think this was causing most of the issues with that shotgun.

So far I like having another Mossy, I missed my old 500 I am thinking this new one is going to stay with me for awhile now. The first few pics are comparing the Tristar to the Mossy, I think they both are nice looking shotguns. Both are built like tanks.

c81ut.jpg

1zl8vgm.jpg

2q86lgz.jpg

2e6aao4.jpg

359hi4o.jpg

2mgtwcy.jpg

23shm4p.jpg

Well got it out this Wednesday & shot 3 rounds of trap. First round got 18/25 2nd 20/25 & 3rd 14/25. That last one got me the wind really picked up at my range & messed me all up. I was on a roll was on station 2 & haven't missed yet then it was all down hill after, from station 3-5 missed all but 4. Was like cursing the wind that day, lol.
All I know that the 500 shoots some mean patterns with that full choke installed. I like the way it shoots compared to that Tristar Cobra that I have, that Cobra is a good shotgun but just don't beat a Mossy.

I would like to try some different chokes, I have seen a lot of other trap guys using extended full chokes, does this help with the pattern when extended from the barrel, I guess it would make a 28" barrel almost 30" when installed. I'll take anyone's advice on chokes & trap shooting. Thanks for all information given.

Back