• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are those bulk skeet shells good for?

^ I am still surprised that there has been so much discussion from all of the various members. That's the best part to me.

I can honestly say I've learned a lot from all of the willingness to help and participation here. Thanks to all.

I can also say that I never expected my quiet thoughts and memories of some of the things I saw my Grandfather do when I was just a little child to have motivated anyone to work around ammo shortages and change things around so they won't have to do without. I admit, that does give me a smile.

As for the effectiveness of the slug loads, I have shown a lifelong friend of mine how to do it, and have helped him load up some, and he has anchored 2 deers with them, two years in a row.

They work.

Changing jobs next month so my supply of lead wheel weights will come to an end. Scavenging all I can between now and then. Need to find/take the time to melt it all down and pour it.

I thought I was getting a good deal on shotshells, but when I got them home found them to be steel shot.

I don't really want to shoot steel from the Cruiser (and I won't ever shoot steel from the antique) so I've thought to reload them with the same weight of lead shot and pack them.

BUT, I didn't consider shooting them as cut shells.

Not so much labor, plus I may not want to reload these with lead anyway. Not sure about the internal construction...

The wad is specifically designed to hold the lighter steel shot. It is a lot deeper. Please avoid filling the entire wad with lead in a mistaken belief that it would weigh similarly. When you say load and pack them I figure you would fill them short and put in a filler material. Right?

Your Cruiser will shoot the steel shot loads just fine if all you want to do is bang some stuff.

I feel bad necro posting in an old topic, but seems that ammo shortages have struck again with brandon in office. Even getting components simply to load is becoming more difficult.

I just thought the info being brought back to the top may help some of the younger guys who weren't old enough to have lived through shortages before and are at a disadvantage. I'm still surprised that there were over 500 responses to the topic when I had originally posted it anyway. So, there's lots of things in here that would help the new folks just starting out especially.

I'm glad you brought this topic back to life. This is very similar to my homebrew minishells. I cut down #7 or #7.5 or even #8 field loads and fill them up with 17 pellets of #4 Buckshot. They're fun, effective, accurate, and pack enough punch that I'd trust my life to them. Right now I've got about 500 of them in an ammo can. I'll be making a few hundred more over the next few months.

If you'd like to share the recipe, I'd love to hear it. What shell are you using? What length are you cutting them? All the little details?

Of course, it's OK to post here, but starting a new topic would probably be more visible for everyone that is interested in the minishells (I know that I am), would be better, at least where the search feature is concerned would be easier to find.

If you're interested in sharing it of course.

I've been wanting to do some handloads with slugs in the mini-shells, but haven't had the time to do anything with it.

Again, this starts with bull making it political with the use of Brandon. It has repeatedly been made clear this is about panic buying. Nothing else.

Again, this starts with bull making it political with the use of Brandon. It has repeatedly been made clear this is about panic buying. Nothing else.
And I've been in a "panic" since 2020. So I'm always open to hearing what I can do to hang in there. Take care. Tom Worthington

I saw the first panic coming before 2016. Why ? All the talk, stupid talk by those who love being scared. They blamed near everything. And guess what ? It continued through to the 2020s. And still carries forth. It will always be a story that will keep the shortage going from panic buyers. I see no end to it.

The only thing I've bought in a panic was toilet paper. When you don't have any, and really need some, you'll understand the panic.

Well, biden sucks, and has literally done everything he's been asked to do to destroy America, so there's that.

You can certainly buy shotgun primers. Small Rifle. Small pistol. Etc. But, you better be willing to shell out for it. It's not even so much panic buying right now because it IS available and not selling out within minutes. Or even days. Just being able to afford it at the moment is the issue.

Few examples:

$59.86 in stock 209 shotgun primers:

Fiocchi small pistol primer. In stock. $122

Winchester large rifle primer In stock. $130 + ship

Reloading component prices are subject to LoSaD. I haven't even thought about reloading since earlier this year when I setup a press for 8mm Mauser. Have cases and pulled bullets, still need powder and lg rifle primers so reloading them is on the back burner (burner off ;) )...

I replied to the wrong thread.
If you'd like to share the recipe, I'd love to hear it. What shell are you using? What length are you cutting them? All the little details?

Of course, it's OK to post here, but starting a new topic would probably be more visible for everyone that is interested in the minishells (I know that I am), would be better, at least where the search feature is concerned would be easier to find.

If you're interested in sharing it of course.

I've been wanting to do some handloads with slugs in the mini-shells, but haven't had the time to do anything with it.
Of course I'll be glad to share...and I've already created the thread. I've got some stuff to do tomorrow, but if I get a chance I will get out my caliper and provide some accurate measurements.

Here's the thread: https://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/rollin-my-own.20482/page-2

No big deal. I'm sure I'll see the new topic once you finish and post it.

Back