• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

F1 blackout project- update page 3

There really is no explanation. .....
Just makes no sense what so ever. It's not like they go into a deeper background check for a can than a firearm.

Although speaking from experience the government is altogether slow at everything.
I should know.
I worked 20yrs for the federal government and retired and shit was always slow.
Now I work for the State and shit is even slower to get stuff done. No matter how fast you try to process stuff. For some reason the system is just set up with so much inefficiency that it's hard to get anything done in a timely manner.
Hell just 10 years ago they started to finally make progress in the processes of things only to be slowed down by outdated systems.... That is where they should of started first... don't ya think.

Looks like six sigma may need to be called Into action to see the uselessness there is in all that the government does. Or maybe they just don't really want to see how screwed up it really is. ... lol.

In a country where everybody works for themselves the people work hard, and in a country where everyone works for the government, the people don't work much.

Except the tax collection people. They seem to be working pretty hard to get our money. My daughter works for the IRS training IRS people to train other IRS people.

They work very hard but there's not a whole lot of production, because the work is mind-numbing people come and go and so there's always a lot of training.

Maybe you all have wondered why it seems like nobody at the IRS knows what the hell they are talking about?
At any one time half of them are trainees.

;)

social security administration is even worse than the IRS from my experience with them, which is very jaded. But is a subject for another day.

I hate that just about everything I do requires me to be licensed or taxed.

Ok here is my rant

The firearm stuff is bad but it goes way beyond that.

I pay a ton in gas taxes, car payments, registration fees and insurance for the priviledge of destroying my car on roads my taxes arent fixing, causing damage neither my insurance nor my taxes cover. All the while being eaten away by salt my taxes paid for (the joys of living in the north)

I pay a fee to buy a license that in turn allows me to buy another license to hunt a deer or a turkey. (Include a 3rd fee if you enter the drawing as opposed to buying OTC).

I have to pay to fish, pay even more if I want to fish for trout. Pay again if I want to fish the same fish in another states water, even if it's the same lake.

We pay taxes on items we buy and pay taxes again on the money recouped on the same item when we sell it. (This is considered income).

We pay fat taxes, sales taxes, use taxes, property taxes, income taxes, inheritance taxes, death taxes, and {insert word here} taxes.

We actually pay to fund groups that provide research and legal help to politicians that we pay to tell us that we are not allowed to do things that are constitutionally protected.

We then have to pay for lawyers to fight other layers and judges, paid for by our own tax dollars, to fight for what little rights those we pay to represent us allow us to have.

This merely scratches the surface of the BS we pay for the "priviledge" of doing. When you really break it down there is very little we can do, if anything that we do not pay some form of tax to someone to do it.

I honestly don't think its possible to go a single day without being assed or charged some form of tax or fee on something you use, own or do unless you are homeless or somehow totally off the grid...but even now .gov is trying to figure ways to tax or charge those attempting to live off of the grid.

Hell some places fine you for collecting rain water.

Not to mention all the non tax but required fees for paperwork, training, etc that are tied to any of the above taxes and fees.

Ok, finally got that out of my system.......carry on.

Today makes 11 months to the day when I mailed my paperwork.

I called the NFA branch again to make sure there is no problem with my paperwork and it's still not approved yet.

Actually, the lady answering the phone didn't even say it was even assigned to an examiner yet. Just that it's pending.

Today makes 11 months to the day when I mailed my paperwork.

I called the NFA branch again to make sure there is no problem with my paperwork and it's still not approved yet.

Actually, the lady answering the phone didn't even say it was even assigned to an examiner yet. Just that it's pending.
Over a year for me now. Guess I won't be using this coming hunting season.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for looking over my letter to my senators.

Like you said, probably won't do any good, but at least they know how I feel about it.

Been over a year, the lady told me that it was finally approved July 21, though I haven't received my approved form yet. She said it may take up to Aug 21 to receive the approved copy of my forms. If not by then, to call back. :nutkick:

So, for all intents and purposes it's been an entire year+ to get my papers from them.

Will be ordering some raw materials today so I'll have them on hand.

Terrible. It's like that to get a pistol license in the next county over from me. 8 months for me.

Govt bs is what it is.

Strangely, here in the gun-hating UK, when i applied to have sound moderators for 3 of my target rifles, I got the paperwork back in a month with slots to buy one for each rifle.

I'll be honest guys, my first form 1 (sbr) was approved and round trip door to door was 5 weeks back in 2004.

Time has increased on all my other 7 NFA forms since.

The F4 machinegun took over 8 months. And that was right after obummers first election. By far, this was the longest wait time and is right excessive.

Found out something that had eluded me for a while.

When I was working up my blackout loads, I was having trouble locking the bolt back on an empty mag despite having a large gas port in the barrel (.125"). A friend who helped me work the loads up was getting his to function with almost a whole grain less powder and everything else being identical.

I ultimately switched to a lightweight buffer spring and even a 1 ounce taccom 2 piece buffer just to get it to work right.

Well, tonight while I was getting the upper took apart and ready to start porting the barrel, I look at everything and realized the superlative arms gas block had a tiny hole for the gas.

It would have probably worked fine for 5.56, and was around .070" (the blackout gas port is .125") but that just goes to show that conversion calibers may need something different than what parts are commonly available and I never thought to check it.

I may end up having to switch back to a standard buffer and spring now after I port the barrel for the integral portion of the can now. But at least now that I drilled the gas block out on the drill press, should give me more wiggle room for fitting everything together.

Seems like a lot of the guys in ofher forums run adjustable gas blocks. It also seems that the pistol length gas port seems more reliable than the carbine length for subsonic. Mine is a carbine length.

I have not shot any sub rounds but I have experienced cycling issues with supersonic rounds. Making note of this as something to check.

Yeah, a lot of folks run adjustables, but I don't plan to really shoot any (many) supersonics out of it. If I do, would be maybe special occasions for bear hunting or something where I would want more oomph. Otherwise, it'll just see subs.

I had no idea the gas block wouldn't have been adequate. Meaning, set up for 556 only and never even dawned on me to check that in the first place. Most other gas blocks have a HUGE port hole, almost as large diameter as the inside of the gas tubes themselves to aid in placement over the gas port on the barrel, but this one was much smaller than that, and not what I expected to see at all.

I looked on superlative arms website and they don't even offer a gas block other than adjustables now, though I wouldn't be able to use their adjustable block because of the way the integral is going to be anyway.

So, I used the drill press and enlarged the gas block port myself.

My barrel is a pistol gas port placement, but only 8.5 inches long.

If you're having trouble cycling supers, it's time to look at your gas situation. Whether barrel gas port size, gas block alignment, or something. If supers aren't working in it, subs almost certainly won't.

Done some live fire testing after I enlarged the gas block.

Things are working a lot more like it's supposed to. This gives me hope that my plan won't make me pull all of my hair out LOL

Finally got the little piece of paper with a signature signifying that I am not a prohibited person.

After more than a year wait for it to be returned. :brick:

f1 dates 001.jpg

I actually had called a couple of weeks ago to check on it because it had been so long and they had told me the approval date, but it has taken them an extra 2 weeks just to mail it to me. The envelope was postmarked 8/3/17 and arrived today :oldman:

WORK HAS BEGUN.

I expect to have this completed in its' entirety by weeks end. Lord willing.

LOL

kelly-lebrock-pantene.jpg

Back