• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Old Machete

12gafun

.270 WIN
I have been looking everywhere for information on this Machete I picked up at a garage sale. It looks old to me and just thinking it might have a story to tell or maybe some history behind it.
The blade is marked El Justiciero and has another pic on the other side but has faded. The handle looks to be wrapped in leather.

20150917_112402.jpg

20150917_112419.jpg

20150917_112431.jpg

20151017_155239.jpg

20151017_155259.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a damn fine looking machete and scabbard.

No telling where it came from, but the inscriptions means, "The Righteous"...

I like it! looks very interesting and functional.

Third pic down with the enlarged logo... the edge looks so pristine and even... it appears "to me" that it is has hardly ever been used and never resharpened.

Souvenir Shop purchase perhaps, if it came with that tasseled and unscratched scabbard, which looks like it has never been in the field.

Cursive writing appears laser engraved and then acid etched to mimic age and wear.

I'm probably wrong and hope I am but that is how it looks to me.

But if it's a good blade and does what a machete should do it would be a pretty good acquisition.

Last edited:
I have been searching for information about this Machete for like over 2 yrs now and almost ready to give up. I have tried knife and sword forums with no luck. Someone somewhere had to make this, I haven't even seen a pic of another machete like it anywhere in the net.

Thanks for the replies all!

I like it! looks very interesting and functional.

Third pic down with the enlarged logo... the edge looks so pristine and even... it appears "to me" that it is has hardly ever been used and never resharpened.

Souvenir Shop purchase perhaps, if it came with that tasseled and unscratched scabbard, which looks like it has never been in the field.

Cursive writing appears laser engraved and then acid etched to mimic age and wear.

I'm probably wrong and hope I am but that is how it looks to me.

But if it's a good blade and does what a machete should do it would be a pretty good acquisition.

I picked this up at a garage sale like 2 years ago, purchased it off a 75 year old guy cannot remember what I paid, but all he said is that he got in back in the 60's in Mexico on a trip.

That is a cool looking machete

The name and pattern on the opposite side look like they were stamped all at once, maybe even in a punch press or something. The way the pattern ends at a straight edge leads me to believe this... I'd have to see close-ups of the "engraving". Maybe they used an adhesive stencil and acid etched--that seems plausible. I think laser-engraving is a stretch... :rolleyes: ;)

Interesting piece, my vote is that it is a "souvenir" piece but starting to develop patina. Certainly worthy of hanging on the wall or HD (;))...

I really wish I knew what it was worth, been thinking of selling it, but not sure where to post it and what price to start with on it. Thanks for the info and the replies all!!

Check on ebay. You may find another to establish the value. That's what I do for old car parts I have.

Both the engraving and the fancy sheath scream tourist souvenir. Too nice for everyday use, too crude for horse show display.
Lotta knives with engraving were in the tourist stores in Mexico in the 60s and 70s, and probably still are.
Working machetes are produced by the zillions and the maker bends over backwards to have their name on it.
Nice little piece of history, might even have good steel if you try it out.

Well I sold it at my last garage sale. I know one day it will come back & bit me in the ass someday, when I find out it was worth a lot more than I sold it for. I have bad luck like that.

Looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short, as usual. The sheath on your machete looks similar to one that was made for me by some San Blas Indians in Panama, when I was stationed in the old Canal Zone. The knife was made to my specs and they made their usual sheath. Used it for a couple years in Panama and a couple years in Nam. Lost it in one of the many PCS moves we made.

Interest in machetes, based on many many many YouTube vlogs, is certainly growing.

However, I never see any overt zeal in "decorative" machetes but I do see a HUGE interest in functional and well made machetes that are usually priced very affordably.

Back