• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 JIC trigger broken. Again.

slimvdub

Copper BB
So I have a 500 JIC model and it keeps breaking triggers. I am on my 3rd trigger now and would like to fix it. What could be causing this? All 3 broke in different spots. This is the latest one. I get about 10 shots in between triggers. I also want to note that I have been using the same trigger housing and just replacing the triggers

Wow.
I've never heard of that issue with the 500 personally. What shells are u using?
Maybe someone will chime in about this with some experience. But that is Just odd that u have been thru 3 triggers with so few shots thru it.
I would suggest a whole trigger housing replacement.
I would get with Mossberg for that issue. They should make it right especially after 3 triggers.

I am using Winchester Target loads 8 shot 2 3/4. Mossberg doesn't seem to wanna help me out. I contacted them when the first trigger broke and they assumed I must have been doing something wrong.

This is a weird one :confused:

The trigger is breaking at two places. In the center and also at the very end.

I'm betting the safety post (whatever its called, mounted on the trigger) is contacting the safety block inside the receiver. In the photo the safety post almost looks likes its backwards.

Any information or pictures will help. We're gonna need them to figure this out.

The post is backwards in that photo. When the gun broke the parts were just rattling around in there. What does everyone want pictures of I will take pictures of anything to get this fixed

If the trigger is held down and the pump moved back the locking block will contact the trigger/safety post.

Any chance you've got a death grip on the trigger while slamming the pump back?

If the trigger is held down and the pump moved back the locking block will contact the trigger/safety post.

Any chance you've got a death grip on the trigger while slamming the pump back?

No I always take my finger off the trigger in between shots.

Send it back, let Mossberg deal with it.

If you have remnants of the other 2 triggers, send them with it. or at least photos of them.

Yeah I talked to them they said send it in and it would be 8-12 weeks. Seems a little excessive. So I don't think I am sending it in.

No nothing worked fine for about 25 rounds then broke the trigger. Then installed second trigger 2nd shot broken trigger. Installed 3rd trigger 5 shots then broken trigger.

Take a couple of shots of the inside of the receiver.

First guess? Take out the stock/grip bolt and add a couple of washers to it before reinstalling it. Second, have you changed your safety by any chance?

The common mistake that usually causes that problem is folks installing the pistol grip using a longer full stock bolt. If the bolt extends into the receiver so it crosses the safety connector path, it breaks the safety connector tab off the trigger and can break the trigger itself. That stock/grip bolt shouldn't extend out of the hole inside the receiver more than a hair at most. If it does, washer it inside the grip/stock to shorten it.

If you have a Mav 88, you can take the trigger out of the Mav and replace it back into the 500. The Mav trigger is identical and that extension part is only used for the 500 safety function. It's not necessary for the Mav 88.

Last edited:
The grip screw is the first thing I checked. It doesn't protrude at all. I think I am just going to send it off to Mossberg and let them deal with it. I will keep everyone posted when it comes back in a few months

Got my shot gun back already. Great job Mossberg. So they replaced everything but the receiver, barrel, and tube. I am taking it out tomorrow for a shoot and will let everyone know how it goes.

Well I'm surprised you got it back in 2 weeks but the 8~12 weeks was ridiculous. I've never sent any of my guns back, but from what I'm reading it never takes that long.

Back