• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 shockwave wood furniture

The heat shield was not made for a thick wall barrel, so the hard part was getting it on. Cut to length leaves one mounting tab left put a longer bolt with nuts on the in side of tab tighten one loosen the other to spread the front of the heat shield a little jb weld cut the bolt and nuts out, cut the other tab off and it is really tight.

The heat shield was not made for a thick wall barrel, so the hard part was getting it on. Cut to length leaves one mounting tab left put a longer bolt with nuts on the in side of tab tighten one loosen the other to spread the front of the heat shield a little jb weld cut the bolt and nuts out, cut the other tab off and it is really tight.
You Sir are a magician. My hat is off to you!

You know how they say "imitation is the finest form of flattery"... I have no idea what I'm doing with the woodworking aspects. Just found an old corncob set on ebay and figured I'd give it a try. Fun way to learn wood shaping and staining. Thanks again for sharing, Ranfunk!
exGPsHo.jpg

Last edited:
It looks much nicer than my black plastic pistol grip set. I will probably do the same sort of job on my 500 Cruiser.

I find woodworking very relaxing unless I am forced to hurry. It's the sort of thing that you simply can't hurry.

You know how they say "imitation is the finest form of flattery"... I have no idea what I'm doing with the woodworking aspects. Just found an old corncob set on ebay and figured I'd give it a try. Fun way to learn wood shaping and staining. Thanks again for sharing, Ranfunk!
exGPsHo.jpg
Did you find a short forend or did you have to cut it down? Mine was a long one I cut down and rework the inside of the front end. Make sure your grip comes out long enough.

Did you find a short forend or did you have to cut it down? Mine was a long one I cut down and rework the inside of the front end. Make sure your grip comes out long enough.
The online description wasn't great on the stock I bought. I could tell it was for a 500 with dual action arms, so I figured I could make it work regardless. It was 8" overall, so I had to cut it down and dremel out the front end. Also had to widen the rear a bit to accommodate the thicker barrel profile. Lots of sanding, fit testing, sanding, fit testing, sanding ad-nauseam.

I purposefully cut the buttstock a little long so it gives me some leeway while I sand it to the shape I want while hitting 26" OAL.

By necessity the 14" guns use the 'short' 6 3/4 forends. So the police corncob forends will have to be cut down as the other posters mentioned.

The old wood stocks really take a stain well. I did one the other week for the first time using Wood Conditioner. Really impressed.

Last edited:
The old wood stocks really take a stain well. I did one the other week for the first time using Wood Conditioner. Really impressed.

Did you use a clear coat to finish it? you will need one. If you don't like the shine, knock it down with 0000 steel wool.
and I always, well most of the time, use the conditioner. It keeps the blotching to a minimum...

"Classic look", really reminds even more of the original "Witness Protection" models in the mid-1980s, by Scattergun Technologies for the Marshall's Service. Well done!

Back