• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Need help to identify forearm on Mav 88

First some info. When I bought this 88 it came with a 28" ribbed barrel. According to the serial number it was made around Dec. 2002. I'm looking at upgrading with a Phoenix Technology Kicklite Recoil Reduction stock. I thought about replacing the forearm but every picture I've seen doesn't show the forearm on mine. Mine is rather long and bulky and does have the Slide Action Tube Nut . I'd like to replace it with something shorter and less bulky and this is where I need some help to identify it AND any suggestions for a replacement. One problem I do have is that I haven't been able to figure out how to upload pictures here so if someone with the expertise in the Mav 88 could PM me with their email address I can email pictures to them. I'd appreciate any and all help. Thanks

First some info. When I bought this 88 it came with a 28" ribbed barrel. According to the serial number it was made around Dec. 2002. I'm looking at upgrading with a Phoenix Technology Kicklite Recoil Reduction stock. I thought about replacing the forearm but every picture I've seen doesn't show the forearm on mine. Mine is rather long and bulky and does have the Slide Action Tube Nut . I'd like to replace it with something shorter and less bulky and this is where I need some help to identify it AND any suggestions for a replacement. One problem I do have is that I haven't been able to figure out how to upload pictures here so if someone with the expertise in the Mav 88 could PM me with their email address I can email pictures to them. I'd appreciate any and all help. Thanks

email me at oldmossy@mossbergowners.com

send pics.

OK I got the pics. Looking at the pics someone took off the pinned forend and installed a action tube and forend.

You need to remove the forend nut and remove the forend and measure it. They make two different lengths.

forend chart.jpg

I forgot the pic you sent,,,,,,
20170520_184011.jpg

20170520_184029.jpg

Last edited:
That is a big bulky forend :eek:

I 'think' that is a 6 3/4 forend tube so you can use any forend, but may need the adapter nut.

Already have a forearm and adapter nut in my cart at Hogue. Just need to want until I have the money to buy them. Do you happen to know if Hogues forearm is shorter, the same or longer then my forearm? I know it does look less bulky.

The Hogue is the 'long' 7 5/8 forend so you'll need the adapter.

The Hogue will be shorter i.e. it won't overlap the receiver. It is just about almost the best forend available.

FYI: I just wanted to pass on some info IF you are planning on putting a Phoenix Technology Kicklit stock AND maybe a single point sling adapter (GG&G) on your 88 or 500. The bolt that comes with the Kicklite stock to attach it to the receiver is too short. You will need to replace it with one at least a 1/4" longer. Luckily I was able to find one that exactly the same the original locally. One thing you do need to check is the treaded hole in the received to see if it bottoms out. Mine didn't. Just thought I'd pass on that info.

Back