• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Using Paraffin wax on 500 action?

Adam T.

Copper BB
Being in the desert with all the dirt and dust, I am toying with testing wax for my action. Anyone that has experience with paraffin wax and shotguns, please let me know your findings. I use it with all my chains and gears for cycles with awesome success.

Don't see why you couldn't.

Wouldn't work well where I'm at, especially in the winter, but wax is pretty slick.

What about Graphite instead of wax? Awfully hard to remove later though.

Last edited:
Hi Adam and welcome to the forum. We're not big fans of dry lubes but of course you're welcome to try them out and see how they work for you.

We've never had problems with debris sticking to oil, including one that got left out in a sandstorm with the action open :oops:

We have used silicone, PTFE, moly and chain lubes. Never saw any benefit, stand alone or together with oil. Generally the stuff didn't stick, didn't lubricate and doesn't flow back in place like oil.

I currently use oil but I wanted to see if anyone had different results using "not so conventional means".

Back