• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 not cycling right-need advice

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Good evening guys.

I have a problem with my 500 that is really getting on my nerves.

It has an intermittent problem with not picking up the fresh round out of the magazine.

I can depress the shell stop with my finger and the fresh rounds spits out forcefully like it's supposed to, and it doesn't misfeed all the time. But is doing it often enough to take it out of HD circulation until I fix it.

I took it apart this evening and it's clean in the receiver. No gunk or build up. I even tried to slightly bend the shell stop some by hand in case it had too much of a curve to it but that didn't seem to make any difference either way.

So, I'm throwing away my pride and asking what I am overlooking.

The shell stop is a new one. I have already replaced with, but it's still not made a difference.

Thanks in advance.

We had a .410 that would do that but I never did figure it out.

The hook of of the shell stop may need to be filed slightly. But I'm guessing the interrupter.

The interrupter is 'supposed' to slip behind the rim of the shell. Nice and neat, without contacting the shell.

Sometimes the hook on the interrupter digs into the base of the shell. It can either dig into the rim, or the base itself, doesn't matter.

This will push the shell towards the shell stop. When the shell is pushed over it will not clear the shell stop. If its really bad it will get stuck even if it does clear the shell stop.

You need to visually confirm if the shell stop is actually out of the way. And if the interrupter is pushing it over.

I was able to down the gun again. So far so good. It is cycling correctly now.

I filed a touch off of the tip of the shell stop, and also increased the slight bend in it somewhat away from the shell. This also increased the tension the lifter/elevator put on it a little when the slide/action arm is moving.

There was a lot of good advice in the other thread. I thought I remembered having problems with this gun not cycling before, and looks like the link you provided, was when I replaced the shell stop and interrupter in the first place.

Hopefully now, it'll continue working.

Thank you to all that replied and helped!

Good evening guys.

It has an intermittent problem with not picking up the fresh round out of the magazine.

I can depress the shell stop with my finger and the fresh rounds spits out forcefully like it's supposed to, and it doesn't misfeed all the time. But is doing it often enough to take it out of HD circulation until I fix it.

I took it apart this evening and it's clean in the receiver. No gunk or build up. I even tried to slightly bend the shell stop some by hand in case it had too much of a curve to it but that didn't seem to make any difference either way.

The shell stop is a new one. I have already replaced with, but it's still not made a difference.

Thanks in advance.
If the gun is new, give Mossberg a call. My 500 .410 did that out of the box. I called and they sent two new pieces - cartridge stop and the other piece.

You can still try to correct the issue per the referenced thread, but you will have proper components just in case.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply.

No, the gun isn't new. Got it about 17 years ago actually.

Several years back, Mossberg did send me a replacement interrupter and shell stop.

I've used it some, and maybe doing tac reloads or something had bent it somewhere along the way.

At any rate, after I filed the tip a little and bent it a little, seems to be working correctly now.

Good evening guys.

Thanks in advance.

After reading your post, I am wondering if there may be problem with my 590A1. On more than on occasion it has failed to feed, but at the time I wondered if it could have maybe been a short stroke on my part.

Have never had this problem with my 500 or the 88 so it makes me wonder. My failure to feed is very intermittent, so how do I prove if it is me or the gun?

After reading the replies here, I took a shell that had already been fired and put it in the magazine, and tried to cycle it through the gun a bunch of times while I held it upside down and watched the shell stop.

I had to take it apart and put it together a couple of times while filing and bending the arm until I had it right.

This must be the most informative thread that I have seen on this subject. Thank you Water Monkey!

I have maybe 500 rounds through my 590A1 and would have an occasional FTF. It was so intermittent that I assumed I had short shucked the gun. This is my 3rd Mossberg pump and the tightest of the 3.

After reading the current subject thread and really looking at my gun, I could see there was a problem. When I disassembled the gun there was a burr on the outside of the cartridge stop as well as on the action bar. These seemed to have been caused by the action bar crashing head on into the cartridge stop. Everyone seems to say "Rack it like you have a pair", but not good advise if the cartridge stop is not where it is suppose to be.
After bending the cartridge stop over some and renewing the sloped surfaces where the action bar and cartridge stop mate up it works like a champ.
The Mossberg forum is the greatest!

Last edited:
This must be the most informative thread that I have seen on this subject. Thank you Water Monkey!

I have maybe 500 rounds through my 590A1 and would have an occasional FTF. It was so intermittent that I assumed I had short shucked the gun. This is my 3rd Mossberg pump and the tightest of the 3.

After reading the current subject thread and really looking at my gun, I could see there was a problem. When I disassembled the gun there was a burr on the outside of the cartridge stop as well as on the action bar. These seemed to have been caused by the action bar crashing head on into the cartridge stop. Everyone seems to say "Rack it like you have a pair", but not good advise if the cartridge stop is not where it is suppose to be.
After bending the cartridge stop over some and renewing the sloped surfaces where the action bar and cartridge stop mate up it works like a champ.
The Mossberg forum is the greatest!

Awesome another shotgun saved from shitty QC

Back